No. 37 Oklahoma moves to 10-3 at home this season after losing to No. 40 Nebraska, 6-1.
April 23, 2010
NORMAN, Okla.— The 37th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to 40th-ranked Nebraska, 6-1, Friday inside the Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion.
“Nebraska was way too good today,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “I was really impressed with how they played. If we play that match 10 times, I’m not sure we would win it once. They were definitely one of the better teams we have played all year.”
Oklahoma (16-5, 6-4 Big 12) dropped only its third of 13 home matches against the Huskers and its first inside the Gregg Wadley Pavilion this season. All of OU’s five losses this season were to top-40 opponents, including then-No. 1 Baylor and No. 20 Arkansas.
OU’s 28th-ranked Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Teona Tsertsvadze claimed the first doubles match on the day at the No. 1 spot, defeating Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein, 8-5.
The Sooners narrowly lost the doubles point after dropping both the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to Nebraska, 8-6. Both matches were tied, 6-6, but the Huskers held on to win at both spots to clinch the doubles point.
“We showed some good things in doubles again,” Mullins said. “I was really happy with our doubles. In singles, we are just going to have to find a way to make some of those matches closer.”
Nebraska (19-4, 8-2 Big 12) claimed the first three singles points quickly to clinch the upset over the Sooners. NU’s Janine Weinreich claimed the Huskers’ fourth point to secure the win, defeating OU’s Kristina Radan at the No. 5 spot, 6-2, 6-3.
OU’s Maria Kalashnikova rallied to force the tiebreaker at the No. 4 spot after losing the first set to NU’s Stefanie Weinstein, 6-4. Kalashnikova took the second set, 6-2, and the tiebreaker, 1-0 (9), to avoid the shutout for OU.
The Sooners return to action Sunday, April 25 at 4 p.m., as OU hosts Iowa State in its final regular season match of the year.
No. 40 Nebraska 6, No. 37 Oklahoma 1
1. No. 28 Constantinescu/Tsertsvadze (OU) def. Geibert/Weinstein (NU), 8-5
2. Weinreich/Swarting (NU) def. Eckel/Kalashnikova (OU), 8-6
3. Weatherholt/Holmberg (NU) def. Connelly/Huet (OU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. No. 103 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU), 6-4, 7-6 (6)
2. No. 80 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 7-6 (4), 7-3
3. Wiveca Swarting (NU) def. Teona Tsertsvadze (OU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (9)
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Kristina Radan (OU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 5*, 2, 1, 4