April 21, 2012
NORMAN, Okla. – The 46th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 contest to No. 6 Texas Saturday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
Oklahoma (10-11, 5-4 Big 12) managed to claim doubles but could not win the match overall.
“We played a really good doubles point today and gave ourselves a great chance at the top three spots in singles,” OU head coach David Mullins said.
The Sooners picked up two wins in doubles at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions.
Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie, ranked 39th nationally in doubles, defeated Krista Damico and Cierra Gaytan-Leach of Texas, 8-5.
Mia Lancaster and Melrose secured the doubles point win after defeating Lina Padegimaite and Noel Scott at the No. 2 spot, 8-6.
“Texas was just too deep for us and showed us why they are the top team in the Big 12 this year,” Mullins said. “We are hoping for a great performance tomorrow on senior day.”
Ritchie won at the No. 1 singles position against Damico of Texas, 7-6, 6-3, to earn OU’s only other match point of the day.
Texas won five of the six singles points against OU, with four of those matches decided by straight sets.
Up next, the Sooners close the regular season against No. 24 Texas A&M on Sunday, April 22 at noon, at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
No. 6 Texas 5, Oklahoma 2
1. Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Krista Damico/Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT), 8-5
2. Mia Lancaster/Melrose (OU) def. Padegimaite/Scott (UT), 8-6
3. Begley/Ellis (UT) def. Long/Peta Maree Lancaster (OU), 8-5
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Krista Damico (UT), 7-6, 6-3
2. Aeriel Ellis (UT) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Noel Scott (UT) def. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-7, 6-0, 1-0
4. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Lina Padegimaite (UT) def. Nicole Long (OU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Elizabeth Begley (UT) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-3, 6-2