No. 43 Oklahoma topped Kansas, 5-2, on Sunday in the Sooners final road match of 2010.
April 18, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan.—The No. 43 Oklahoma women’s tennis team claimed its sixth conference win Sunday as the Sooners topped Kansas, 5-2, in their final road match of the season.
Oklahoma (16-4, 6-3 Big 12) won its 13th doubles point of the season against the Jayhawks to earn the early 1-0 lead. OU swept all three doubles matches, only giving up seven game points over the three matches.
No. 23 Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Teona Tsertsvadze defeated Kansas’ Ekaterina Morozova and Erin Wilbert at the No. 1 position, 8-5.
The Sooners won their third-consecutive doubles matches at both the No. 2 and No. 3 positions Sunday. Tara Eckel and Maria Kalashnikova topped Kunigunda Dorn and Sara Lazarevic of Kansas, 8-2, at the No. 2 position, while Marie-Pier Huet and Katelyn Connelly shut out KU’s Maria Martinez and Alessandra Dzuba, 8-0, at the No. 3 spot.
Oklahoma picked up victories at the top four positions in the singles lineup to secure its sixth road win of the season.
Three of OU’s four singles wins were in straight-sets. No. 88 Constantinescu defeated Morozova, 6-2, 7-5, Huet topped Lazarevic, 6-1, 6-3, and Kalashnikova beat Dorn, 6-3, 6-4.
The Sooners only losses on Sunday came at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles spots, with both matches decided in the tiebreaker set.
Oklahoma will return home for its two final regular-season matches on April 23 and 25. The Sooners will face No. 49 Nebraska on Friday, April 23 at 2:30 p.m., and Iowa State on Sunday, April 25 at 11 a.m.
No. 43 Oklahoma 5, Kansas 2
1. No. 23 Constantinescu/Tsertsvadze (OU) def. Morozova/Wilbert (KU), 8-5
2. Eckel/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Dorn/Lazarevic (KU), 8-2
3. Connelly/Huet (OU) def. Martinez/Dzuba (KU), 8-0
1. No. 88 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Ekaterina Morozova (KU), 6-2, 7-5
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Teona Tsertsvadze (OU) def. Maria Martinez (KU), 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
6. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) def. Katelyn Connelly (OU), 6-4, 6-7(9), 11-9