No. 43 Oklahoma picked up its fifth road victory of the season Saturday, defeating Kansas State, 6-1.
April 17, 2010
MANHATTAN, Kan. – The 43rd-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team improved to 15-4 Saturday after a dominating 6-1 victory over Kansas State.
Oklahoma (15-4, 5-3 Big 12) quickly took the doubles point and early lead following impressive wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
Tara Eckel and Maria Kalashnikova defeated Nina Sertic and Petra Chuda at the No. 2 spot, 8-3, while Katelyn Connelly and Marie-Pier Huet topped Ana Gomez-Alaman and Carmen Borau Ramos, 8-2.
The Sooners secured the win over the Wildcats in singles after claiming five of the six dual points.
Kansas State’s only dual point came from a win at the No. 1 position, KSU’s Antea Huljev defeated No. 88 Ana-Maria Constantinescu, 6-2, 6-4.
The Sooners won four singles matches in straight-sets and only gave up three games or less over those eight sets.
Huet defeated Gomez Aleman at the No. 2 spot, 6-0, 6-1, Kalashnikova beat Karla Bonacic at the No. 4 spot, 6-3, 6-2, Eckel defeated Borau Ramos at the No. 5 position, 6-3, 6-3, and Connelly topped Chuda at the No. 6 spot, 6-3, 6-2.
The Sooners return to action tomorrow as they look to defeat Kansas for the first time in five seasons. OU faces the Jayhawks on Sunday, April 18 at 11 a.m.
Oklahoma 6, Kansas State 1
1. Huljev/Bonacic (KSU) def. (23) Constantinescu/Tsertvadze (OU), 8-2
2. Eckel/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Sertic/Chuda (KSU), 8-3
3. Huet/Katelyn Connelly (OU) def. Gomez-Aleman/Borau-Ramos (KSU), 8-2
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. (88) Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Teona Tsertvadze (OU) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-7 (5), 7-5, 11-9
4. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Katelyn Connelly (OU) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-3, 6-2