No. 22 Oklahoma shut out by No. 21 Tulsa Wednesday in OU's second-straight top 25 matchup.
March 30, 2011
NORMAN, Okla. - The 22nd-ranked Oklahoma women's tennis team lost its second-straight match to top 25 opponent Wednesday, falling to No. 21 Tulsa, 7-0.
Oklahoma (12-4, 4-1 Big 12) played its third-straight match against a nationally-ranked opponent against the Golden Hurricane (17-2, 2-0 CUSA). OU defeated No. 49 Texas Tech but lost to Tulsa and ninth-ranked Baylor.
Tulsa entered the match on a 12-match win streak, including victories over Texas Tech, Kansas State and Nebraska.
The Sooners lost the doubles point for the first time at home this season, giving Tulsa the 1-0 lead.
Tara Eckel and Marie-Pier Huet won OU's only doubles match of the day at the No. 3 position. The OU duo defeated TU's Bonny Davidson and Michelle Farley, 8-5.
Freshmen Mia Lancaster and Whitney Ritchie lost their first doubles match as a pair, falling to Tulsa's Ewa Szatkowska and Anastasia Erofeeva at the No. 2 spot, 8-4.
OU's 66th-ranked duo of Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu also lost at the No. 1 position to TU's Alexandra Kichoutkin and JoAnne Karaitiana, 8-1.
Tulsa won four singles matches in straight-sets to clinch the win over OU at the No. 1, No. 6, No. 4 and No. 5 positions.
Freshmen Radu and Ritchie forced super tiebreakers in both of their matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to close the match.
Radu lost the first set, 6-1, but rallied to take the second set, 6-4, but fell in the tiebreaker 1-0 (10).
Ritchie won the second set, 6-4, after falling in the first, 6-2, but couldn't outlast TU's Michelle Farley in the tiebreaker, falling 1-0 (5).
The Sooners travel to Columbia, Mo., to face Missouri on Saturday, April 2 at 1 p.m.
No. 21 Tulsa 7, No. 22 Oklahoma 0
1. Kichoutkin/Karaitiana (TU) def. No. 66 Constantinescu/Radu (OU), 8-1
2. Szatkowska/Erofeeva (TU) def. M. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU), 8-4
3. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Davidson/Farley (TU), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Alexandra Kichoutkin (TU) def. No. 102 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Anastasia Erofeeva (TU) def. Alice Radu (OU), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10)
3. Michelle Farley (TU) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU), 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
4. Ewa Szatkowska (TU) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Sam Vickers (TU) def. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 6-3
6. JoAnne Karaitiana (TU) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 4*, 5, 2, 3