OU handles Missouri, 6-1, as the Sooners improve to 4-1 in Big 12 action.
March 25, 2012
NORMAN, Okla. – The 44th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team defeated Missouri, 6-1, Sunday at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
Oklahoma (9-8, 4-1 Big 12) improved to 4-1 in conference play with its back-to-back wins this weekend over Iowa State and Missouri.
The Sooners swept doubles for the second straight match, after edging out Missouri in two close matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie, ranked 44th-nationally in doubles, won easily at the No. 1 doubles spot, defeating Jamie Mera and Nina Pantic of Missouri, 8-3.
Nicole Long and Whitney Wofford clinched the doubles point win for OU with their 8-6 win over Ashleigh Chiaf and Alex Clark at the No. 3 position.
OU completed the doubles sweep as Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose beat Missouri’s Maria Christiansen and Rachel Stuhlmann at the No. 3 spot, 8-6.
Wofford increased OU’s lead to 2-0 after shutting out Missouri’s Chiaf at the No. 6 spot, 6-0, 6-0.
Mia Lancaster won the Sooners’ next dual point with a straight-set win over Christiansen, 6-1-6-4, while Ritchie clinched the victory over the Tigers after defeating Pantic, 6-2, 6-1, to win OU’s fourth team point.
With the match already decided, Huet added another point for the Sooners by beating Stuhlmann at the No. 2 spot, 6-4, 6-2.
Missouri won its first point of the day after Mera defeated OU’s Melrose at the No. 4 spot, 6-2, 6-4.
Long won the final point of the day after beating MU’s Clark at the No. 5 spot, 6-4, 7-5.
Next up, the Sooners will face a tough road challenge at No. 13 Baylor in Waco, Texas, on Friday, March 30 at 5 p.m.
Oklahoma 6, Missouri 1
1. Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Mera/Pantic (MU), 8-3
2. Lancaster/Melrose (OU) def. Christiansen/Stuhlmann (MU), 8-6
3. Long/Wofford (OU) def. Chiaf/Clark (MU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Nina Pantic (MU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Maria Christiansen (MU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Jamie Mera (MU) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Nicole Long (OU) def. Alex Clark (MU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Ashleigh Chiaf (MU), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 1*, 2, 4, 5