No. 1 Baylor too strong for Sooners, Tsertsvadze wins OU's only dual point against the Bears
March 21, 2010
WACO, Texas – The 34th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped its first conference match Sunday, falling to the nation’s No. 1 ranked Baylor on the road, 6-1.
Oklahoma (10-2, 1-1 Big 12) fell behind early after losing the doubles point to the Lady Bears. Baylor took over the match quickly in singles, winning five of six singles points.
Baylor (13-2, 4-0 Big 12) picked up two wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots to win the doubles point. Baylor’s No. 8-ranked Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi defeated Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Maria Kalashnikova at the No. 1 spot, 8-5, while Taylor Ormond and Karolina Filipiak topped OU’s Katelyn Connelly and Kristina Radan at the No. 3 position, 8-4.
OU’s Tara Eckel and Marie-Pier Huet played in their second match together this season and claimed the Sooners’ only doubles win on the day. Eckel and Huet beat BU’s Carla Lindlar and Nina Secerbegovic at the No. 2 spot, 8-7.
The Lady Bears won the first two singles points of the match with wins at the No. 3 and No. 2 positions. Baylor boasts four singles players ranked in the ITA top-125, including two in the top-20.
OU’s Kalashnikova fell to 65th-ranked Ormond at the No. 3 spot, 6-1, 6-1, while Huet lost to 18th-ranked Secerbegovic at the No. 2 position, 6-2, 6-0.
After being down in the first set, OU Freshman Teona Tsertsvazde claimed OU’s only dual point against the Bears. Tsertsvadze defeated 79th-ranked Borsanyi at the No. 4 spot, 6-4, 6-0.
No. 90 Constantinescu lost her first conference singles match since 2008 after winning the first set. Constantinescu fell to fifth-ranked Broosova at the No. 1 position, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4.
Oklahoma returns to Norman for six-straight home matches starting Friday, March 26 as the Sooners take on Missouri at 6 p.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
Baylor 6, Oklahoma 1
1. No. 8 Broosova/Borsanyi (BU) def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU), 8-5
2. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Lindlar/Secerbegovic (BU), 8-7
3. Ormond/Filipiak (BU) def. Connelly/Radan (OU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 5 Lenka Broosova (BU) def. No. 90 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU), 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 18 Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-2, 6-0
3. No. 65 Taylor Ormond (BU) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Teona Tsertsvadze (OU) def. No. 79 Csilla Borsanyi (BU, 6-4, 6-0
5. Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Carla Lindlar (BU) def. Kristina Radan (OU), 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6