OU lost its second straight match by just one point Tuesday to College of Charleston.
March 20, 2012
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team lost to College of Charleston, 4-3, Tuesday, March 20 at the College of Charleston Tennis Center.
Oklahoma (7-8, 2-1 Big 12) lost its second straight match, despite winning the doubles point.
"I have to give a lot of credit to Charleston," OU head coach David Mullins said. "They competed extremely hard and wanted it more than we did."
OU’s 44th-ranked duo, Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie, won the Sooners’ first doubles match against College of Charleston at the No. 1 spot, 8-3. The duo is 12-3 this season at the No. 1 spot this season.
"Unfortunately, our lack of depth at the lower spots continues to hurt us a great deal," Mullins added. "We get back to Big 12 play on Friday and I hope we can be better at the five and six spots."
The Cougars won at the No. 2 doubles spot, Jenny Falcone and Kelly Kambourelis defeated Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose, 8-5, but OU’s Nicole Long and Whitney Wofford won at the No. 3 spot to clinch the doubles point for OU.
Long and Wofford beat College of Charleston’s Caroline Newman and Christin Newman, 8-5.
OU increased its lead to 2-0 after Mia Lancaster won the first singles match of the day, 6-0, 6-2, against Caroline Newman at the No. 3 spot.
The Cougars won the next three singles points at the No. 5, No. 4 and No. 6 spots to take a 3-2 lead over the Sooners.
Ritchie tied the match at 3-3 by beating Christin Newman at the No. 1 spot, 7-5, 7-6, but College of Charleston held on to defeat the Sooners after claiming the final dual point of the day.
Kambourelis defeated Huet at the No. 2 spot, 5-7, 7-6, 6-2, to secure the win over OU.
The Sooners return to Norman for two Big 12 matches this weekend. OU faces Iowa State on Friday, March 23 at 4 p.m., and Missouri on Sunday, March 25 at noon.
College of Charleston 4, (44) Oklahoma 3
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Christin Newman (CofC), 7-5, 7-6
2. Kelly Kambourelis (CofC) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 5-7, 7-6, 6-2
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Caroline Newman (CofC), 6-0, 6-2
4. Samantha Maddox (CofC) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-2, 7-6
5. Jenny Falcone (CofC) def. Nicole Long (OU), 6-3, 6-4
6. (113) Katie Lee (CofC) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 6, 1, 2*
1. (44) Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Maddox/ Viana (CofC), 8-3
2. Falcone/Kambourelis (CofC) def. M. Lancaster-Abbi Melrose (OU), 8-5
3. Long/Wofford (OU) def. Caroline Newman/Christin Newman (CofC), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3