The Sooners fell to No. 27 Texas on Friday after claiming an early lead in doubles.
March 20, 2009
AUSTIN, Texas—The University of Oklahoma dropped a tough road match to No. 27 Texas on Friday, losing to the Longhorns, 5-2.
Oklahoma (6-8, 0-3 Big 12) showed improvements against a talented Texas team, especially in doubles play. The Sooners claimed the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead against the Longhorns, winning two of the three doubles matches.
Sophomore Tara Eckel and freshman Marie-Pier Huet continued their success at the No. 2 doubles spot. The duo defeated Krista Damico and Maggie Mello of Texas, 9-7. Eckel and Huet hold an 8-2 record at the No. 2 spot as a pair, including a current six-match winning streak. OU’s freshman duo, Peta Maree Lancaster and Kristina Radan, defeated Amanda Craddock and Caroline Larsson of Texas, 8-5.
“We played a really great match today, I saw some of the best tennis I have seen all year,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Our doubles play continues to get better and to win the doubles point against a team like Texas is a huge boost for our young team.”
The Sooners struggled in singles play, claiming only one of the six singles points. Sophomore standout Ana-Maria Constantinescu won at the No. 1 singles spot against Texas’ Vanja Corovic, who is ranked No. 96 nationally. Constantinescu holds a 10-2 record on the season at the No. 1 singles spot. Friday’s win against Corovic marks Constantinescu’s second win against a nationally-ranked individual this season.
The Sooners end their four-match road series in College Station, Texas, as they take on No. 36 Texas A&M on Sunday, March 22. Doubles competition will begin at 1 p.m.
Texas 5, Oklahoma 2
1. No. 25 Corovic/Milic (UT) def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU), 9-8
2. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Damico/Mello (UT), 9-7
3. Lancaster/Radan (OU) def. Craddock/Larsson (UT), 8-5
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. No. 96 Vanja Corovic (UT), 6-4, 2-1, ret.
2. Caroline Larsson (UT) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-1, 4-6, 7-6
3. Krista Damico (UT) def. Kristina Radan (OU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Maggie Mello (UT) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 7-6, 6-4
5. Amanda Craddock (UT) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Sarah Lancaster (UT) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-2, 6-4