Oklahoma remains unbeaten in conference play, wins its second Big 12 match in as many days.
March 19, 2011
AMES, Iowa -- The 19th-ranked Oklahoma women's tennis team won its second road-dual of the weekend, defeating Iowa State on Saturday, 6-1.
Oklahoma (11-2, 3-0 Big 12) won the doubles point for the eleventh time this season, sweeping all three matches. OU went on to win five singles points, all in straight sets. The Sooners gave up two games or fewer total in three of their five singles wins.
"We found a way to play some good tennis today and get better in very tough windy conditions," OU Head Coach David Mullins said. "The team really took care of business this spring break and they are exctied to be back home for their next three matches."
Freshman Whitney Ritchie won her seventh-straight singles match, shutting out Tessa Lang of Iowa State, 6-0, 6-0.
Senior Maria Kalashnikova and junior Marie-Pier Huet also shut out their opponents in doubles play. The OU duo defeated Iowa State's Liza Wischer and Jenna Langhorst at the No. 3 doubles spot, 8-0.
The Sooners gave up just one match point to the Cyclones. Iowa State's Erin Karonis defeated senior Ana-Maria Constantinescu at the No. 1 position, 6-2, 6-2.
OU returns to Norman for a three-match home stand beginning on Friday, March 25 at 5 p.m., at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
No. 19 Oklahoma 6, Iowa State 1
1. Constantinescu/Radu (OU) def. Lang/Macedo (ISU), 8-7
2. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Karonis/Cacciuttolo (ISU), 8-5
3. Huet/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Wischer/Langhorst (ISU), 8-0
1. Erin Karonis (ISU) def. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Alice Radu (OU) def. Maria Macedo (ISU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Tessa Lang (ISU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Liza Wischer (ISU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU), 6-2, 6-2