Sooners suffer another road loss at UNLV on Tuesday, losing to the Lady Rebels, 6-1.
March 17, 2009
LAS VEGAS—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team lost a tough road match to UNLV Tuesday, falling to the Lady Rebels, 6-1.
UNLV (9-6) won two doubles matches to claim the doubles point and gain the 1-0 lead. Freshman Marie-Pier Huet and Sophomore Tara Eckel claimed the Sooners’ only doubles win, defeating UNLV’s Alisa Razina and Adrienn Hidvegi, 8-3.
“We lost to a very talented team today,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Our inexperience really showed and we had no answer at a lot of different spots.”
In singles action, OU sophomore Maria Kalashnikova earned the only singles victory for the Sooners. Kalashnikova defeated Nikol Dimitrova of UNLV, 6-1, 6-2. Sophomore Ana-Maria Constantinescu dropped only her second singles match of the season to UNLV’s Kristina Nedeltcheva who is ranked No. 123 nationally. Constantinescu won the first set before the match was sent into a super-tie breaker set with Nedeltcheva eventually claiming the win, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (7).
Tuesday’s match was the second of the Sooners’ four-match road series. Oklahoma (6-7, 0-2 Big 12) entered Tuesday’s match coming off another road loss to Colorado, 4-3, on Friday, March 13.
The Sooners continue to play on the road next weekend, facing Texas in Austin, Texas on March 20, and Texas A&M in College Station, Texas on March 22.
UNLV 6, Oklahoma 1
1. Nedeltcheva/Williams (UNLV) def. Kalashnikova/Constantinescu (OU) 8-6
2. Huet/Eckel (OU) def. Razina/Hidvegi (UNLV) 8-3
3. Terzieva/Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Lancaster/Radan (OU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3*
1. #123 Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
3. Katy Williams (UNLV) def. Kristina Radan (OU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Rumyana Terzieva (UNLV) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alisa Razina (UNLV) def. Brittany Baldy (OU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,2,3,4,5,1