Oklahoma notched a 4-3 victory over No. 36 Kansas State Sunday.
March 10, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – Whitney Ritchie defeated 94th-ranked Karla Bonacic, 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 2 position to clinch the Oklahoma women's tennis team's upset over No. 36 Kansas State Sunday, March 10, at Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
“It was great to see Whitney Ritchie back out there playing close to her best tennis again.” OU head coach David Mullins said. “When she’s on, we’re a much better team.”
Oklahoma (8-3, 2-0 Big 12) swept doubles competition the first time this season to capture the first point of the match.
“It’s hard to believe that’s the first time we’ve won all three doubles this year and that obviously gives us some confidence going into singles.” Mullins said.
Mia Lancaster and Emma Devine defeated Ana Gomez and Carmen Borau at the No. 3 position, 8-3. Zita Engbroks and Whitney Wofford sealed the doubles point with a 9-7 win over Ivana Kubickova and Amina St. Hill at the No. 2 spot.
Ritchie and Hermon Brhane upset 31st-ranked Petra Niedermayerova and Bonacic, 9-7, on court one.
“Kansas State has had struggles in doubles this year and then still found ways to win matches, so for us to come out and get three points is great.” Mullins added.
In singles play, Kansas State tied the game, 1-1, with a win at the No. 1 spot. Devine put the Sooners back on top with a 6-4, 6-1, win against Borau on court six.
Wofford quickly gave Oklahoma its third point after a victory at the No. 4 position against Gomez, 6-2, 6-1.
“It’s somebody different stepping up each week.” Mullins continued. “I don’t know whom it’s going to be but we just keep finding ways to win.”
Lancaster and Engbroks were defeated on court three and five, respectively, to give the Wildcats their final two points of the match.
“Everybody stepped up with Abbi (Melrose) out this weekend.” Mullins said. “We’re finding ways to get wins and at this time of year that’s all that matters.”
The Sooners travel to Austin next to face rival Texas Friday, March 15, at 5 p.m.
No. 40 Oklahoma 4, No. 36 Kansas State 3
1. No. 50 Whitney Ritchie/Hermon Brhane (OU) def. No. 31 Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU), 9-7
2. Zita Engbroks/Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Ivana Kubickova/Amina St. Hill (KSU), 9-7
3. Mia Lancaster/Emma Devine (OU) def. Ana Gomez/Carmen Borau (KSU), 8-3
1. No. 17 Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. No. 105 Hermon Brhane (OU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. No. 94 Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Ivana Kubickova (KSU) def. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Ana Gomez (KSU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Amina St. Hill (KSU) def. Zita Engbroks (OU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Emma Devine (OU) def. Carmen Borau (KSU), 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 1, 6, 4, 2, 5, 3