OU shutout both Oral Roberts and Oklahoma Baptist, winning both matches, 7-0.
March 8, 2009
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team swept a doubleheader Sunday, defeating both Oral Roberts and Oklahoma Baptist, 7-0.
OU (6-5, 0-1 Big 12) entered Sunday's doubleheader coming off an upset-win against No. 32 Tulsa. The Sooners showed a boost in confidence, winning every match in doubles and singles.
The Sooners started the day in doubles action against Oral Roberts. OU only dropped one game over three doubles matches against the Golden Eagles, winning the early doubles point. Two Sooner duos shutout their ORU opponents, sophomores Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Maria Kalashnikova defeated Hayden Rush and Rafaela Souza, 8-0, while freshmen Peta Maree Lancaster and Kristina Radan defeated Corrine Langston and Taylor Wade, 8-0.
In singles action the Sooners continued their sweep, winning all six doubles matches against Oral Roberts. Sophomore Ana-Maria Constantinescu returned to her winning ways after losing her first singles matches against Tulsa. Constantinescu was one game shy of shutting out Tulsa's Hayden Rush, winning, 6-1, 6-0.
"It was great to finally play some matches at home," OU head coach David Mullins said. "The team really needed a day like today, to work on some things."
Following the match against Oral Roberts, Oklahoma began doubles competition against Oklahoma Baptist. The Sooners not only won all three matches, but won every game, defeating all three OBU pairs, 8-0. Senior Brittany Baldy and redshirt freshman Kristin Gray won their first doubles match as a pair this season, defeating Sarah Alexander and Peige Davis of OBU, 8-0.
"It was good to finally get Brittany (Baldy) and Kristin (Gray) in the lineup," Mullins said. "It was good to get them some match play."
In singles action the Sooners won at all six positions. Gray played and won in her first singles match of the season, defeating Peige Davis of OBU, 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 6 spot. Senior Brittany Baldy played in her first match since the season opener against Texas-Pan American. Baldy shutout OBU's Sarah Alexander, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 5 spot.
The Sooners return home on March 27 to face Kansas after another long series of road matches. OU will travel to Boulder, Colo., on March 13 to face Colorado before heading to Las Vegas to face UNLV on March 17.
Oklahoma 7, Oral Roberts 0
1. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Rush/Souza (ORU), 8-0
2. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Pippin/Costa (ORU), 8-1
3. Lancaster/Radan (OU) def. Langston/Wade (ORU), 8-0
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Hayden Rush (ORU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Rafaela Souza (ORU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Kristina Radan (OU) def. Tayler Pippin (ORU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Ana Costa (ORU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Corrine Langston (ORU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Ekaterina Kondrashova (ORU), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3
Oklahoma 7, Oklahoma Baptist 0
1. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Costa/Mowery (OBU), 8-0
2. Radan/Lancaster (OU) def. Halsbesleben/Robinett (OBU), 8-0
3. Baldy/Gray (OU) def. Alexander/Davis (OBU), 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Kristina Radan (OU) def. Paola Costa (OBU), 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (8)
2. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Katie Halbesleben (OBU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Camber Robinett (OBU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Brooke Mowery (OBU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Brittany Baldy (OU) def. Sarah Alexander (OBU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Kristin Gray (OU) def. Peige Davis (OBU), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 1