OU lost its early lead to Mizzou, falling to the Tigers, 5-2, in Columbia, Mo., on Sunday.
March 1, 2009
COLUMBIA, Mo.—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped its first Big 12 match of the season Sunday, falling to Missouri, 5-2.
The Sooners took an early 2-0 lead, winning the doubles point and first singles point, but the Tigers rallied and claimed the next five singles matches to win the dual.
In doubles action, Sooner sophomore Tara Eckel and freshman Marie-Pier Huet teamed together to defeat Missouri’s Mallory Weber and Jamie Mera, 8-6. Sophomores Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Maria Kalashnikova claimed OU’s other doubles win, defeating Jessica Giuggioli and Kaitlyn Ritchie, 9-8.
“It was a tough loss today, especially after winning a close doubles point,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Missouri did a job executing when things got close.”
The Sooners dropped five of six tough singles matches, three of which went into third sets. Sophomore standout Ana-Maria Constantinescu claimed OU’s sole singles win, beating Mallory Weber of Missouri, 6-4, 6-1. With the win, Constantinescu remains unbeaten in singles play, holding a 6-0 record on the season at the No. 1 singles spot.
The Sooners conclude a long series of road matches, facing the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in Tulsa, Okla., Wednesday, March 4. Following Wednesday’s match, OU heads home for a doubleheader against Oral Roberts and Oklahoma Baptist on Sunday, March 8.
Missouri 5, Oklahoma 2
1. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OKLA) def. Giuggioli/Ritchie (MIZ) 9-8 (4)
2. Eckel/Huet (OKLA) def. Weber/Mera (MIZ) 8-6
3. Ayala/Day (MIZ) def. Radan/Lancaster (OKLA) 8-5
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OKLA) def. Mallory Weber (MIZ) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jessica Giuggioli (MIZ) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OKLA) 6-0, 6-7, 6-4
3. Jamie Mera (MIZ) def. Kristina Radan (OKLA) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
4. Kaityln Ritchie (MIZ) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OKLA) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Danielle Day (MIZ) def. Tara Eckel (OKLA) 7-5, 6-1
6. Sofia Ayala (MIZ) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) 6-3, 6-0