OU's women's tennis team fell to the Wisconsin Badgers Saturday in Columbia, Mo., 4-3.
Feb. 28, 2009
COLUMBIA, Mo.—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team suffered its second loss against Big Ten opponents Saturday, falling to Wisconsin, 4-3.
The Badgers took the early lead, claiming the doubles point after OU dropped two doubles matches. The Sooners’ freshman pair, Kristina Radan and Peta Maree Lancaster, teamed up to defeat Aleksandra Markovic and Emese Kardhordo of Wisconsin, 8-6, gaining OU’s only doubles win.
In singles action sophomore standout, Ana-Maria Constantinescu, continued her winning streak. After Saturday’s match, Constantinescu remains unbeaten in singles play and is now 6-0 on the season. Constantinescu defeated Wisconsin’s Liz Carpenter, 7-5, 7-6, at the No. 1 singles spot.
Two OU freshmen, Kristina Radan and Marie-Pier Huet, also claimed victories in singles play. Radan defeated Wisconsin’s Emese Kardhordo, 6-3, 6-3, and Huet defeated Jessica Seyferth, 6-3, 6-3.
“Unfortunately, we were not able to execute at some key moments in the match,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “We put ourselves in a position to win this match and we continue to improve every time we compete.”
The Sooners open Big 12 play on Sunday, March 1, facing the Missouri Tigers in Columbia, Mo. The Sooners hope to continue their seven-year winning streak against the Tigers, the last time OU lost to Mizzou was on Feb. 18, 2001. The 2001 loss was the first loss to Mizzou in program history, OU holds a 24-1 series lead.
For updated results following Sunday’s match, check SoonerSports.com.
Wisconsin 4, Oklahoma 3
1. Carpenter/Chupa (WIS) def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OKL), 8-5
2. Seyferth/Mirnova (WIS) def. Eckel/Huet (OKL), 9-8 (6)
3. Radan/Lancaster (OKL) def. Markovic/Kardhordo (WIS), 8-6
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OKL) def. Liz Carpenter (WIS), 7-5, 7-6 (3)
2. Katya Mirnova (WIS) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OKL), 6-2, 2-6,6-4
3. Kristina Radan (OKL) def. Emese Kardhordo (WIS), 6-3, 6-3
4. Aleksandra Markovic (WIS) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OKL), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Angela Chupa (WIS) def. Tara Eckel (OKL), 6-2, 6-1
6. Marie-Pier Huet (OKL) def. Jessica Seyferth (WIS), 6-3, 6-3