No. 41 Oklahoma upsets No. 37 Arkansas, 4-3.
Feb. 17, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. - The 41st-ranked Oklahoma women's tennis team defeated No. 37 Arkansas, 4-3, Sunday to finish the weekend with two upset victories at Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
Sophomore Abbi Melrose clinched the upset for the Sooners with a 6-4, 6-4, victory over Flavia Araujo at the No. 3 spot.
Oklahoma improved to 5-2 with the win and notched its fourth victory over a ranked opponent this season.
Oklahoma took the early 1-0 lead with victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions in doubles.
"Doubles was exciting. I felt like we had to win at No. 1 and then Arkansas' No. 2 and No. 3 have been great all year." OU head coach David Mullins said. "To see that comeback at No. 2 doubles was really impressive and that's ultimately what got us through today.
Zita Engbroks and Whitney Wofford rallied to clinch the doubles point for the Sooners after defeating Arkansas' Yang Pang and Brittany Huxley at the No. 2 spot, 9-8 (7-4).
No. 36 Hermon Brhane and Whitney Ritchie remain undefeated in doubles after a 9-7 victory against Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker at the No. 1 position.
The Sooners added three singles points to clinch the victory over Arkansas.
"I was impressed to see court one, three and five closing out matches after we won the first set." Mullins said.
Engbroks topped Kimberley-Ann Surin at the No. 5 spot, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), to give Oklahoma its first singles point.
No. 87 Brhane captured the Sooners third point after a 6-3, 6-3, victory at the No. 1 position.
Mia Lancaster, Wofford and Emma Devine lost in their first and third sets to give Arkansas its three points in the match.
"To see us come back on courts two, four and six and win the second set on all three after losing the first, just things we have not been doing but we're starting to do now." Mullins added.
Oklahoma travels to Iowa City to face Iowa Friday, Feb. 22, at 3 p.m.
No. 41 Oklahoma 4, No. 37 Arkansas 3
1. No. 36 Whitney Ritchie/Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Claudine Paulson/Segou Jonker (Ark.), 9-7
2. Zita Engbroks/Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Yang Pang/Brittany Huxley (Ark.), 9-8 (7-4)
3. Kimberley-Ann Surin/Sarah McLean (Ark.) def. Mia Lancaster/Abbi Melrose (OU), 8-5
1. No. 87 Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Yang Pang (Ark.), 6-3, 6-3
2. Claudine Paulson (Ark.) def. Mia Lancaster (OU), 7-5, 0-6, 6-2
3. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Flavia Araujo (Ark.), 6-4, 6-4
4. Sarah McLean (Ark.) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. Zita Engbroks (OU) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (Ark.), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Brittany Huxley (Ark.) def. Emma Devine (OU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 5, 1, 6, 2, 3, 4