OU loses to nationally ranked WSU Shockers in a tough road battle.
Feb. 15, 2009
WICHITA, Kan.--The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team was defeated by No. 72 ranked Wichita State Sunday afternoon at the Shockers home courts.
The Sooners dropped all three doubles matches and four of six singles matches to WSU.
The Shockers have three singles players ranked in the Central Region, who proved to be a challenge for their OU opponents. Lutfiana Budiharto, ranked 15th in the Central Region, defeated OU sophomore Maria Kalashnikova, 6-1, 6-3, who entered Sunday's match undefeated at the No. 2 singles position. Stephanie Dalmacio, No. 11 in the Central Region, defeated OU freshman Kristina Radan, 6-1, 6-0. Torrie Browning, No. 21 in the Central Region defeated OU freshman Peta Maree Lancaster, 6-2, 3-6, 12-10.
"We faced a very talented team today that was just too good at certain spots," OU head coach David Mullins said. "Our inexperience showed at times, but there were also some big improvements."
Sophomore standout Ana-Maria Constantinescu, ranked No. 98 nationally and No. 6 in the Central Region, continued her success at the No. 1 singles position. Constantinescu remains undefeated in singles play this season after defeating Anna Egorova of WSU, 6-3, 4-6, 10-6.
OU's second single match point came from freshman Marie-Pier Huet. Huet defeated WSU's Lenore Lazaroiu, 7-5, 6-0, at the No. 6 singles spot.
The Sooners continue their long road series next weekend, traveling to University Park, Pa., to face Penn State on Friday, Feb. 20, and Purdue on Saturday, Feb. 21.
#72 Wichita State 5, Oklahoma 2
1. #98 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Anna Egorova (WSU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
2. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Stephanie Dalmacio (WSU) def. Kristina Radan (OU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Florentina Hanisch (WSU) def. Tara Eckel (OU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Torrie Browning (WSU) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) 6-2, 3-6, 12-10
6. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Lenore Lazaroiu (WSU) 7-5, 6-0
1. Dalmacio/Egorova (WSU) def. Constantinescu/ Kalashnikova (OU) 8-5
2. Budiharto/Lazaroiu (WSU) def. Huet/Eckel (OU) 8-4
3. Hanisch/Ferreira (WSU) def. Radan/Lancaster (OU) 8-6