The Sooners win their second-straight against ranked opponents, defeat No. 73 Minnesota.
Feb. 11, 2011
MINNEAPOLIS – The 24th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team improved to 4-1 on the season after the Sooners defeated No. 73 Minnesota, 5-2, Friday.
“We definitely had to battle for this win tonight,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “We did not play our best match but we learned a lot. Hopefully we can grind out another win tomorrow morning against Oregon.”
Oklahoma (4-1) won its third match over a ranked opponent this season against Minnesota.
The Sooners won the doubles point for the fifth-straight match, with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.
No. 31-ranked Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu defeated Minnesota’s Natallia Pintusava and Yuliana Umanets at the No. 1 spot, 8-4, while OU’s Maria Kalashnikova and Whitney Ritchie topped 84th-ranked Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen of Minnesota at the No. 2 position, 9-7.
For the second-straight match OU’s three freshmen, Mia Lancaster, Radu and Ritchie, went 3-0 in singles competition.
Radu defeated Minnesota’s Ferrazzi at the No. 2 position in the tiebreaker set, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3.
Ritchie and Lancaster both won singles points in straight sets. Ritchie topped Palen at the No. 3 singles position, 6-4, 6-3, while Lancaster dominated Minnesota’s Mariana Spilca at the No. 6 spot, 6-1, 6-0.
Lancaster currently leads the team in singles in overall record. The freshman is 4-1 in singles with all four wins coming in straight sets.
Senior Kalashnikova added OU’s fifth match point after defeating Minnesota’s Doron Muravnik at the No. 5 spot, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
The Sooners will face Oregon on Saturday at 11 a.m., in Minneapolis before heading back to Norman.
No. 24 Oklahoma 5, No. 73 Minnesota 2
1. No. 31 Constantinescu/Radu (OKLA) def. Pintusava/Umanets (MIN) 8-4
2. Kalashnikova/ Ritchie (OKLA) def. No. 84 Ferrazzi/Palen (MIN) 9-7
3. Wiecha/Spilca (MIN) def. Eckel/Huet (OKLA) 9-8 (9)
1. Natallia Pintusava (MIN) def. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OKLA) 7-6 (4), 1-6, 6-2
2. Alice Radu (OKLA) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MIN) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
3. Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) def. Alexa Palen (MIN) 6-4, 6-2
4. Magdalena Wiecha (MIN) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Maria Kalashnikova (OKLA) def. Doron Muravnik (MIN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
6. Mia Lancaster (OKLA) def. Mariana Spilca (MIN) 6-1, 6-0