No. 43 Sooners improve to 3-2 after beating Minnesota, 6-1, Saturday.
Feb. 10, 2013
NORMAN, 0kla. - The 43rd-ranked University of Oklahoma women's tennis team defeated Minnesota, 6-1, Saturday in the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
Oklahoma (3-2) took the early 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point, and followed with three straight wins in singles to beat the Gophers.
"I knew coming in Minnesota was missing a couple of their key players due to injury so I felt confident going into the match." OU head coach David Mullins said. "We did a good job executing what we need to do, especially with the No. 1 and 2 doubles getting off to a good start."
OU's Hermon Brhane and Whitney Ritchie, No. 55 nationally, defeated Natalia Pintusava and Tereza Brichacova at the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-3. The pair has won three straight to start the season.
Zita Engbroks and Whitney Wofford clinched the doubles point for the Sooners after defeating Jessika Mozia and Yuliana Umanets at the No. 2 position, 8-2.
"We got off to a good start in singles on most of the courts. I don't think we played our best tennis by any means but we definitely did what we had to do today." Mullins said.
Brhane extended OU's lead to 2-0 after winning the first singles point of the day. Brhane defeated Pintusava at the No. 1 spot in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.
Whitney Wofford earned the third point for OU after beating Yuliana Umanets, 6-0, 6-4, in the No. 4 position.
In an exciting match, Zita Engbroks clinched the victory for the Sooners after a 6-1, 7-6 (7-0) win over Doron Muravnik.
Ritchie won her match in the No. 2 spot against Tereza Brichacova, 6-2, 6-4. Ritchie has won back-to-back singles matches after dropping her first two this season.
Minnesota's Aria Lambert defeated Abbi Melrose, 7-6, 6-2, at the No. 5 position to give the Gophers their only point of the match.
"This is a huge weekend coming up, with Arkansas and Tulsa." Mullins added. "It's a big weekend for us. We're not going to do anything differently, we've just got to get a little better each day."
The Sooners stay home next weekend to host No. 23 Tulsa on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 12 p.m., and No. 37 Arkansas on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 12 p.m.
No. 43 Oklahoma 6, Minnesota 1
1. No. 55 Whitney Ritchie/Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Natalia Pintusava/Tereza Brichacova (Minn.), 8-3
2. Zita Engbroks/Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Jessika Mozia/Yuliana Umanets (Minn.), 8-2
3. Aria Lambert/Doron Muravnik (Minn.) vs. Mia Lancaster/Abbi Melrose (OU), DNF
1. No. 99 Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Natalia Pintusava (Minn.), 6-1, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Tereza Brichacova (Minn.), 6-2, 6-4
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Jessika Mozia (Minn.), 7-5, 6-1
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Yuliana Umanets (Minn.), 6-0, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (Minn.) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 7-6, 6-2
6. Zita Engbroks (OU) def. Doron Muravnik (Minn.), 6-1, 7-6 (7-0)
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 2
Singles: 1, 4, 6, 3, 2, 5