The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team defeated the Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans Sunday, 7-0, completing its second straight sweep this season.
Feb. 1, 2009
North Little Rock, Ark.—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team completed its second sweep of the season Sunday, defeating Arkansas-Little Rock, 7-0.
Oklahoma (2-0) traveled to UALR (1-3) for its first of eight consecutive road matches and left with its second straight sweep.
“It is a good feeling to get our first win on the road,” head coach David Mullins said. “We are looking forward to another great week of practice before heading to Alabama.”
The Sooners were led by sophomore Ana-Maria Constantinescu, who missed last week’s match. Constantinescu shut out Anne Weijenbrog of UALR in singles, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 1 position and teamed with Tara Eckel in doubles to defeat Chantal Coolen and Marta Gomez-Jordan, 6-1, 6-3.
“Today was another complete performance by everyone on the team,” Mullins said. “We continue to show progress in a number of areas.”
OU’s three freshmen, Marie-Pier Huet, Peta Maree Lancaster and Kristina Radan, continued their success against UALR. Huet and Radan both defeated their opponents in singles, 6-1, 6-3, while Lancaster defeated Fanny Lopez, 6-2, 6-1.
The Sooners continue their series of road matches Saturday, Feb. 7, facing Alabama in Tuscaloosa.
Oklahoma 7, UALR 0
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Anne Weijenborg (UALR), 6-0, 6-0
2. Kristina Radan (OU) def. Marta Gomez-Jordana (UALR), 6-1, 6-3
3. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Chantal Coolen (UALR), 6-3, 6-1
4. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Rebec Van Den Houte (UALR) 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
5. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Fanny Lopez (UALR) 6-2, 6-1
6. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Nathalia Garay (UALR), 6-1, 6-3
1. Constantinescu/Eckel (OU) def. Coolen/Gomez-Jordana (UALR), 8-4
2. Huet/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Weijenborg/Lopez (UALR), 8-2
3. Radan/Lancaster (OU) def. Van Den Houte/Garay (UALR), 8-3