OU lost the first match of ITA Kick-Off Weekend Friday to St. Mary's, 4-3.
Jan. 27, 2012
LOS ANGELES – The 25th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team lost its first match of the season Friday to St. Mary’s, 4-3, on opening day of the 2012 ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the UCLA Tennis Center.
Oklahoma (3-1) fell behind early after losing its first doubles point of the season but tied the match 3-3 with only the No. 4 matchup remaining.
OU freshman Abbi Melrose won the first set at the No. 4 spot, 7-5, against St. Mary’s 116th-ranked Jade Frampton but eventually lost in the tiebreaker set, 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4).
“The girls fought hard today but our inexperience really showed through in doubles and a couple spots in singles,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “We are going to have a lot of matches like this one over the next few months and hopefully we learned some lessons today that we can apply later in the season.”
The Sooners will play fourth-seeded Utah Saturday for the consolation match beginning at 8 p.m. (CT) at the UCLA Tennis Center.
No. 41 St. Mary's 4, No. 25 Oklahoma 3
1. No. 22 Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Jade Frampton/Jenny Jullien (SM) 8-5
2. Isip/Elizabeth Searl (SM) def. LongWofford (OU) 8-3
3. Leduc/Lindlar (SM) def. M. Lancaster/Melrose (OU) 7-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. #82 Catherine Isip (SM) 6-0, 7-5
2. No. 68 Jenny Jullien (SM) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Anna Chkhikvishvili (SM) 6-4, 6-2
4. No. 116 Jade Frampton (SM) def. Abbi Melrose (OU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Catherine Leduc (SM) def. Nicole Long (OU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Carla Lindlar (SM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,5,2,1,6,4