The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team defeated the University of Texas-Pan American, 7-0, Saturday in Oklahoma City.
Jan. 24, 2009
OKLAHOMA CITY– The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team swept its season opener against Texas-Pan American, 7-0, Saturday at the Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club.
Saturday’s dual marked OU’s first match and first win with new head coach David Mullins.
“I am pleased with our team’s performance tonight, especially the freshmen,” said Dave Mullins. “It’s always nerve-wracking to play without your No. 1 player but the girls stepped up without Ana-Maria (Constantinescu).”
The Sooners started strong in doubles winning all three matches, 8-0, 8-3 and 8-3. Sophomore Maria Kalashnikova and freshman Marie-Pier Huet swept their doubles match at the No. 1 position, 8-0, shutting out Stephanie Willerding and Luisa Cantu of UTPA.
The Sooners finished the sweep in singles competition after winning all six matches. Kalashnikova continued her doubles success in singles action by shutting out Stephanie Willerding of UTPA, 6-0, 6-0.
“Tonight was a great way to start the season, and we’re looking forward to the road,” Mullins said.
The Sooners hope to hit the ground running following the sweep, facing a long series of road matches. OU will travel to Little Rock, Ark. Feb. 1 to play the University of Arkansas-Little Rock. The Sooners will return home to the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman on March 8 to face Oral Roberts.
Oklahoma 7, UTPA 0
1. Huet/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Willerding/Cantu (UTPA), 8-0
2. Lancaster/Radan (OU) def. Anderson/Salvetova (UTPA), 8-3
3. Baldy/Eckel (OU) def. Bedeau/Burton (UTPA), 8-3
1. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Stephanie Willerding (UTPA), 6-0, 6-0
2. Kristina Radan (OU) def. Luisa Cantu (UTPA), 6-1, 6-1
3. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Megan Bedeau (UTPA), 6-1, 6-1
4. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Andrea Salvetova (UTPA), 6-3, 61
5. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Malin Anderson (UTPA), 7-5, 6-0
6. Brittany Baldy (OU) def. Reeta Raty (UTPA), 6-3, 6-4