Sooners grab upset on Longhorns' home court to start Big 12 play.
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma’s men’s tennis team opened Big 12 play making a statement by taking down Texas, the team picked to win the league, on its home court Friday.
The 21st-ranked Sooners cruised past the No. 13 Longhorns 5-2 at the Pennick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin, Texas, in a contest that finished in less than three hours.
"We played a really solid match today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "Our doubles was really good again today. In singles, we had a bunch of guys come out really focused and they did great jobs of closing sets when we had leads."
OU gained the doubles point, winning in No. 1 and No. 2 doubles and falling only in No. 3 doubles on a tiebreaker set, then dominated in key singles matchups en route to a road upset.
The 13th-ranked duo of Costin Paval and Dane Webb scored an 8-5 win over the 27th-ranked pair of Chris Camillone and David Holiner. OU’s 71st-ranked doubles team of Tsvetan Mihov and Peerakit Sirabutwong upset No. 50 Ben Chen and Daniel Whitehead, 8-3, to put the momentum on the Sooners’ side for the rest of the evening.
OU’s Guillermo Alcorta, ranked No. 90 in singles, was first to finish on the No. 2 singles court, dropping No. 97 Daniel Whitehead 6-2, 6-1. Alcorta was followed in victory by No. 94 Dane Webb, who disposed of Ben Chen, 6-2, 6-0, in the No. 5 spot and 17th-ranked Paval who defeated Texas’ Soren Hess-Olsen 6-2, 6-3 in No. 1 singles to clinch the overall decision.
It was a decisive exhibition for third-year head coach John Roddick’s Sooners against the conference’s top-ranked team and its preseason favorite of a vote of the coaches announced Tuesday.
Oklahoma continues its Big 12 road trip in Texas with a visit to College Station and matchup with the Texas A&M Aggies Sunday, April 1, at 1 p.m.
No. 21 Oklahoma 5, No. 13 Texas 2
1. No. 17 Costin Paval (OU) def. No. 64 Soren Hess-Olsen (UT), 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 90 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. No. 97 Daniel Whitehead (UT), 6-2, 6-1
3. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. Tsvetan Mihov (OU), 7-6 (5), 1-6, 1-0 (10-8)
4. No. 82 Peerakit Sirabutwong (OU) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT), 6-1, 6-3
5. No. 94 Dane Webb (OU) def Ben Chen (UT), 6-2, 6-0
6. David Holiner (UT) def. David Pultr (OU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6, 1*, 4, 3
1. No. 13 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OU) def. No. 27 Chris Camillone/David Holiner (UT), 8-5
2. No. 71 Tsevtan Mihov/Peerakit Sirabutwong (OU) def. No. 50 Ben Chen/Daniel Whitehead (UT), 8-3
3. Alex Hilliard/Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. Lawrence Formentera/David Pultr (OU), 8-7 (6)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3