No. 16 Texas Tech ended 17th-ranked Oklahoma's 10-match win streak in route to a Blue-Gray Championship.
March 21, 2010
AUBURN, Ala. -- No. 17 ranked Oklahoma (12-2) fell short of winning the Blue-Gray Tennis Classic Championship as 16th-ranked Texas Tech (16-1) took the final match to claim a 4-3 victory Sunday.
Due to inclement weather the finals were moved to Auburn, Ala., and played indoors at the Yarborough Tennis Center on the Campus of Auburn University.
“We played very well today and all of the credit goes to Tech,” OU head coach John Roddick said. “It was really a great match that came down to the last match. Our guys battled hard after losing a heartbreaking doubles point and I was proud of how we came out and gave ourselves a chance to win in singles. If we can play like that consistently, good things will happen.”
The Sooners began the match dropping an exciting and very close doubles point.
Freshman Lawrence Formentera and senior Blake Boswell combined to claim a win, at the No. 3 position, over TT’s Vitor Manzini and David Gonzalez, 9-7.
However, the Red Raiders proved too much at the No. 2 position where 23rd-ranked Gonzalo Escobar and Andre Stabile defeated OU’s David Pultr and Ionut Beleleu, 9-8.
In the singles, 70th-ranked Costin Paval routed TT’s Rafael Garcia, at the No. 3 spot, to bring the Sooners within one, 2-1.
Pultr evened the score, 2-2, after he handled the Red Raider’s Andre Stabile, 7-6, 6-1.
OU’s Formentera dropped his match at the No. 5 spot to give Tech the 3-2 advantage. Beleleu (No. 83) evened the score, 3-3, after he dropped TT’s Escobar (No. 63) in three sets.
The match came down to a heated battle at the No. 1 position between Texas Tech’s 15th-ranked Raony Cavalho and OU’s 20th-ranked Daescu. Carvalho won the first set, 6-2, but Daescu stormed back to take the second set, 6-3. In the third set Daescu could not get past Carvalho as he fell, 6-3.
Up next, Oklahoma travels to the Lone Star State to take on Texas A&M, March 26, before renewing the Red River Rivalry against Texas, March 28.
No. 16 Texas Tech 4, No. 17 Oklahoma 3
1. #15 Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. #20 Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
2. #83 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. #63 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU), 6-2, 6-7 (4), 6-3
3. #70 Costin Paval (OU) def. Rafael Garcia (TTU), 7-6, (5), 6-1
4. David Pultr (OU) def. Andre Stabile (TTU), 7-6 (4), 6-1
5. Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. George Chanturia (OU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4, 5, 2, 1
1. #18 Carvalho/Garcia (TTU) def. #83 Daescu/Paval (OU), 8-2
2. #23 Escobar/Stabile (TTU) def. Pultr/Beleleu (OU), 9-8 (8)
3. Formentera/Blake Boswell (OU) def. Manzini/David Gonzalez (TTU), 9-7
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2