No. 17 OU defeated Arizona, 4-1, in semifinal action and will play No. 16 Texas Tech Sunday at 10 a.m.
March 20, 2010
|Oklahoma Men's Tennis (12-1 Overall, 0-0 Big 12)
| Semifinal Results
|| No. 17 Oklahoma 4, No. 33 Arizona 1
| Championship Match
|| vs. No. 16 Texas Tech, March 21, at 10 a.m.
| Tournament Draw
|| Tournament Bracket
|| Live Scoring
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – No. 17 Oklahoma advanced to the Blue-Gray Classic Championship match after cruising past 33rd-ranked Arizona Saturday, 4-1, in the semifinals held at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center.
OU (12-1) will face No. 16 Texas Tech in the Championships Sunday, March 21, at 10 a.m. Texas Tech advanced after defeating No. 38 Notre Dame, 4-0, in semifinal action.
“We played a very solid match today against a very good Arizona team,” OU head coach John Roddick said. “We played one of our best doubles points of the year and the momentum carried over into singles. Arizona competes as hard as any team we have played this year and we did a good job of staying focused.”
The Sooners continued their strong doubles play, as OU won battles at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions to claim the lead, 1-0, heading into singles action.
Senior Andre Daescu teamed with freshman Costin Paval (No. 73) to take down UA’s 55th-ranked duo comprised of Borja Malo and Pat Metham, 8-2.
In singles, junior Ionut Beleleu, No. 83, secured a victory at the No. 2 position over the Wildcats Andres Arango, 6-2, 7-5.
At the No. 3 position, 70th-ranked Costin Paval thrashed UA’s Andres Carrasco in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3.
Freshman Lawrence Formentera put away the Wildcat’s with an impressive win over Geoff Embry, 7-6, 6-0, at the No. 5 spot.
With the win over Arizona, Oklahoma has now won its 10th-straight match and is off to their best start since the 2005 season when the Sooners started the season with a 13-1 record.
No. 17 Oklahoma 4, No. 33 Arizona 1
1. #20 Andrei Daescu (OU) vs. Jay Goldman (UA), DNF
2. #83 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Andres Arango (UA), 6-2, 7-5
3. #70 Costin Paval (OU) def. Andres Carrasco (UA), 6-4, 6-3
4. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. David Pultr (OU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Geoff Embry (UA), 7-6, 6-0
6. George Chanturia (OU) vs. Borja Malo (UA), DNF
1. #71 Daescu/Paval (OU) def. #55 Malo/Metham (UA), 8-2
2. Pultr/Beleleu (OU) vs. Hazi/Embry (UA), DNF
3. Formentera/Blake Boswell (OU) def. Arango/Carrasco (UA), 8-3