March 16, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE -- Thirty-first ranked Oklahoma fell to No. 5 Virginia, 6-1, in Charlottesville on Friday evening.
"We played and competed really hard today," John Roddick said. "Our doubles was terrific again, but Virginia was just too strong in singles. They have three of the top five singles players in the country and we pushed them hard, but came up a little short."
The Sooners started off the dual taking the early 1-0 lead after OU won battles at the No. 1 and 2 doubles positions.
Oklahoma's Formentera and Pultr dropped the first match to the Cavalier's Alex Domijan and Rooda at the No. 3 position, 8-3.
Costin Paval and Dane Webb, ranked No. 18, won at the No. 1 position defeating No. 10-ranked Drew Courtney and Jarmere Jenkins, 8-5.
Tsvetan Mihov and Peerakit Siributwong defeated Mitchell Frank and Julen Uriguen in a close 9-8 game.
In singles action, Virginia came back to win five of the six matches, three of which went to three sets.
Virginia's Justin Shane, ranked No. 72, defeated OU's No. 78-ranked player Dane Webb, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 5 position to knot the overall team score, 1-1.
Seventh-ranked Jarmere Jenkins for UVA took on No. 15 ranked Paval. Jenkins took a close first set, 7-5, and followed that with a 6-2 win in the second set.
Drew Courtney of UVA battled Siributwong, ranked No. 67, at the No. 4 position, where they went three sets before Courtney won 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
Alex Domijan for Virgina defeated OU's Tsvetan Mihov, ranked No. 103, in three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, at the No 2 spot.
At the No. 6 position, Oklahoma's David Pultr faced Julen Uriguen of Virginia with an end score of, 6-7, 6-4.
Virginia's No. 1 ranked player, Frank, took down the Sooners' Guillermo Alcorta in three sets, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
"I was very proud of the way we fought and competed. If we keep that level up, good things will happen," Roddick added.
Roddick's squad will continue the away streak when they face Maryland on Sunday, March 18 at 11:00 a.m.
No. 5 Virginia 6, No. 31 Oklahoma 1
1. #18 Paval/Webb (OU) def. #10 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) 8-5
2. Mihov/Siributwong (OU) def. Frank/Uriguen (UVa) 9-8
3. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Formentera/Pultr (OU) 8-3
1. #7 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #15 Costin Paval (OU) 7-5, 6-2
2. #94 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #103 Tsvetan Mihov (OU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. #67 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
5. #72 Justin Shane (UVa) def. #78 Dane Webb (OU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. David Pultr (OU) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 ret.
Order of Finish: