Oklahoma downed San Diego State Sunday.
March 13, 2011
SAN DIEGO – The 29th-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis team won its sixth straight contest after defeating San Diego State, 6-1, Sunday at the Aztec Tennis Center.
The Sooners (8-2) began the weekend picking up a win at Arizona, 5-2, on Friday and continued their winning trend at San Diego State.
“We played much better today and it was good to see some guys execute some things we have been working on,” John Roddick said. “Our doubles are looking better and it was great to see (Lawrence) Formentera play so solid today in his hometown.”
OU started the match taking the doubles point for the third consecutive match and fifth time of the year.
Ionut Beleleu and Tsvetan Mihov controlled SDSU’s Javier Pulgar and Tim Schulz van Endert, 8-2, at the No. 2 spot.
Laurentiu Gavrila and Lawrence Formentera joined forces to defeat the Aztecs’ Andre Feliz and Florez at the No. 3 position to claim the point for OU.
The Sooners followed their strong doubles performance by dominating the singles portion of the match.
Formentera, a San Diego native, earned OU’s first victory after he downed SDSU’s Jose Sierra Short, 6-3, 6-2.
At the No. 4 spot, Gavrila defeated the Aztecs’ Hunter Nocholas, 6-3, 6-1, to give OU a 3-0 advantage.
Peerakit Siributwong, ranked No. 105 nationally, clinched the match for OU at the No. 3 spot after he downed SDSU’s Endert, 6-4, 6-2.
OU’s 28th-ranked Beleleu earned a straight set victory over SDSU’s Giovanni Vaglietti.
Costin Paval was the final Sooner to earn OU a point after he routed San Diego State’s Pulgar, 6-1, 6-3. Paval, ranked No. 59, remains unbeaten on the year after improving to 9-0.
Up next, Roddick’s squad will take on top-ranked Virginia on Friday, March 18 at 5 p.m.
|| No. 29 Oklahoma 6, San Diego State 1
1. Nicholas/Vaglietti (SDSU) def. Siributwong/Paval (OU), 8-6
2. Beleleu/Mihov (OU) def. Pulgar/Schulz van Endert (SDSU), 8-2
3. Gavrila/Formentera (OU) def. Feliz/Florez (SDSU), 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 59 Costin Paval (OU) def. Javier Pulgar (SDSU), 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 28 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU), 7-6(4), 6-3
3. No. 105 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Andre Feliz (SDSU) def. Tsvetan Mihov (OU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Jose Sierra Short (SDSU), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3*, 2, 1, 5