OU won four singles matches to earn the win over the Cowboys in Tulsa.
Costin Paval clinched the match for the 24th-ranked Oklahoma men's tennis team over the No. 59-ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys, 4-3, inside the Michael D. Case Tennis Center on the University of Tulsa campus.
Since the arrival of head coach John Roddick the Sooners (5-2) have won three straight matches over the Cowboys. The last time OU won three straight over OSU (2-5) was from 1993-95.
"We played really well in singles," John Roddick said. "We played very disciplined in four spots and those match scores reflected that. Overall, this was encouraging."
In doubles the Sooners took the early advantage after Lawrence Formentera and Laurentiu Gavrila teamed up to take down OSU's Ilija Martinoski and Tomas Patiño, 8-2, at the No. 3 spot. However, OU dropped battles at the No. 1 and 2 positions to give OSU the doubles point.
"We showed improvement in doubles, but we still have a long ways to go."
OU's Gavrila evened the score, 1-1, in singles after he handily defeated Oklahoma State's Aleksey Bessonov in identical straight-sets, 6-2, at the No. 3 spot.
Competing at the No. 6 position, sophomore Formentera gave the Sooners their first lead after he downed OSU's Patiño. Formentera earned a 6-3 first set win and followed that performance by shutting out Patiño in the second set, 6-0.
Tsvetan Mihov gave the Sooners a 3-1 advantage after he defeated the Cowboys' Ilija Martinoski, 6-1, 6-3.
Costin Paval, ranked No. 69 nationally, clinched the match for the Sooners at the No. 2 position. Paval took the first set over OSU's 115th-ranked Vlad Bondareko, 6-2. In the second set Paval was clutch as he took the set, 7-5.
Oklahoma State took the final two matches of the dual after the Cowboys' West downed OU's Peerakit Siributwong in three sets at the No. 4 spot. Sooner Ionut Beleleu dropped two highly contested tiebreaker sets to OSU's Bains at the No. 1 position.
|| No. 24 Oklahoma 4, Oklahoma State 2
1. Bessonov/Bondarenko (OSU) def. Beleleu/Mihov (OU), 8-6
2. Bains/West (OSU) def. Paval/Warden (OU), 8-6
3. Formentera/Gavrila (OU) def. Martinoski/Patiño (OSU), 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Maniel Bains (OSU) def. #28 Ionut Beleleu (OU), 7-6(3), 7-6(7)
2. #69 Costin Paval (OU) def. #115 Vlad Bondareko (OSU), 6-2, 7-5
3. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) def. Aleksey Bessonov (OSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Eric West (OSU) def. #118 Peerakit Siributwong (OU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
5. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Ilija Martinoski (OSU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Tomas Patiño (OSU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 6, 5, 2*, 4, 1