Senior Ionut Beleleu clinched the match for Sooners at the No. 1 singles position.
Feb. 18, 2011
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The 21st-ranked Oklahoma (4-2) men’s tennis team rallied from a 2-point deficit to earn a 4-3 victory over No. 59 Arkansas Friday night inside the Dills Tennis facility.
“We got through another tough road match,” John Roddick said. “I was very proud of the way we competed at the end.”
The Sooners changed up the doubles lineup from top-to-bottom, but dropped the doubles point after falling at the No. 1 and 3 positions. Costin Paval and Peerakit Siributwong teamed up to at the No. 2 spot to claim OU’s lone win over Arkansas’ Gregoire Lehmann and Chris Nott, 8-5.
Oklahoma fell behind 2-0 after the Hogs’ Matt Walters defeated OU’s John Warden at the No. 6 singles position.
OU’s reigning All-American Paval gave the Sooners their first point after he destroyed Arkansas’ Matt Hogan, 6-2, 6-4, at the No. 2 position.
Laurentiu Gavrila evened the score, 2-2, after defeating Arkansas’ Lehmann in straight-sets. Gavrila won the first set, 7-6(5), and ran away with the second set, 6-1.
Tsvetan Mihov gave OU its first lead after he took down the Hogs’ Nikolas Zogaj. Mihov dropped the first set, 3-6, but rallied to take the final two sets, 6-3, 6-4.
“Mihov did a great job of keeping his composure and coming back from a set down.”
Despite taking the first set 6-4, OU’s Lawrence Formentera was defeated by Arkansas’ Mike Ward at the No. 5 spot.
With the score evened, 3-3, it all came down to the battle at the No. 1 spot between OU’s Ionut Beleleu and Arkansas’ Chris Nott. Beleleu took the first set, 6-4, but dropped a close second set, 5-7. Beleleu, a senior from Zalua, Romania, remained poised and took the final set, 6-3.
“Johnny (Ionut Beleleu) did a great job of stepping up when it mattered.”
Next up, the Sooners travel to Tulsa, Okla., on Friday, Feb. 25, to take on Oklahoma State in the first edition of Bedlam this year.
Oklahoma 4, Arkansas 3
1. Hogan/Walters (Ark.) def. Beleleu/Mihov (OU), 8-5
2. Paval/Siributwong, (OU) def. Lehmann/Nott (Ark.), 8-5
3. Ward/Zogaj (Ark.) def. Formentera/Gavrila (OU), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Chris Nott (Ark.), 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
2. Costin Paval (OU) def. Matt Hogan (Ark.), 6-2, 6-4
3. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) def. Gregoire Lehmann (Ark.), 7-6(5), 6-1
4. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Nikolas Zogaj (Ark.), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Mike Ward (Ark.) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Matt Walters (Ark.) def. John Warden (OU), 7-6(1), 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1*