No. 8 Oklahoma beat No. 17 Tulsa 5-1 Friday night in Norman.
Feb. 8, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 8 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (5-1) defeated No. 17 Tulsa (3-4), 5-1, Friday night at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Pavilion.
"Tulsa's a good team, as we've known over the last few years," OU head coach John Roddick said. "It's no different this year. They beat a really good Baylor team last week. So it was a tough match."
OU claimed the first team point for after Costin Paval and Dane Webb, and Peerakit Siributwong and Leonard Stakhovsky won their doubles matches.
The Sooners continued collecting points after Axel Alvarez and Stakhovsky won their matches in two sets. Siributwong clinched the win for OU after he beat Tristan Jackson 6-3, 6-3.
"We played probably the most complete match we've played so far," Roddick said. "We competed hard and we [closed stuff out] a lot better today. So for that, the guys can be proud of that effort."
OU travels to Seattle, Wash., this week for the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championship. The 16-team championships will be hosted by the University of Washington Friday, Feb. 15, to Monday, Feb. 18.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for information on the men's tennis program.
OU 5, Tulsa 1
1. Paval/Webb (OU) def. Espejo/Marsland (Tulsa), 8-4
2. Ive/Jackson (Tulsa) def. Alcorta/Alvarez (OU), 8-3
3. Siributwong/Stakhovsky (OU) def. Bautista/De Kirk (Tulsa), 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Clifford Marsland (Tulsa, 4-6, 6-3, dnf
2. Costin Paval (OU) def. Japie De Klerk (Tulsa), 6-2, 6-4
3. Alejandro Espejo (Tulsa) def. Dane Webb (OU), 6-2, 7-6
4. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Grant Ive (Tulsa), 6-1, 6-2
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Carlos Bautista (Tulsa), 6-3, 6-3
6. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Tristan Jackson (Tulsa), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6*, 3, 2