Oklahoma will face either 24th-ranked Tennessee or No. 53 Michigan State on Monday.
Jan. 29, 2012
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The 15th-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis squad dropped its opening match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Classic to No. 23 Mississippi, 4-0, at the Goodfriend Tennis Center on the University of Tennessee campus.
“Ole Miss played very well at the big moments today,” John Roddick said. “We have to do a much better job of capitalizing on all of our opportunities. Our doubles was solid today and it literally came down to one point. It was a bit unfortunate and Mississippi came up with a big first serve to save a match point.”
The Sooners dropped the doubles point after falling at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Oklahoma won the first doubles match as OU’s David Pultr and Guillermo Alcorta earned an 8-5 win over Mississippi’s Johan Backstrom and William Kallberg.
Ole Miss answered with a win at the No. 2 position where Jonas Lutjen and Nik Scholtz downed OU’s No. 38-ranked Peerakit Siributwong and Tsvetan Mihov, 8-5.
The doubles point came down to the No. 1 spot where OU’s Costin Paval and Dane Webb, ranked No. 14, dropped a 9-8(6) tiebreaker to Mississippi’s Marcel Theimann and Chris Theimann.
In singles action, OU dropped battles at the No. 2, 3 and 4 spots to give Ole Miss the 4-0 win.
“We have to do a better job of being aggressive when we have the lead,” added Roddick. “Dane Webb looked really good at six singles today as did David Pultr at five.”
The first match to conclude play was at No. 4, where Kallberg edged OU’s No. 38 Mihov in identical sets, 6-4.
At the No. 3 position, OU’s Siributwong, ranked No. 39, fell to Ole Miss’ 98th-ranked Lutjen, 7-6, 6-2.
Mississippi clinched the match after 27th-ranked Marcel Theimann defeated the Sooners’ Guillermo Alcorta, ranked No. 53, 6-4, 6-4.
The Sooners held advantages at the No. 1 and 6 spots before action was called.
“We look forward to working on some things tomorrow,” Roddick concluded.
Oklahoma will face the loser of the afternoon match which pits 24th-ranked Tennessee against No. 53 Michigan State.
No. 23 Mississippi 4, No. 15 Oklahoma 0
1. #4 Costin Paval (OU) vs. Nik Scholtz (OM) 6-7 (2-7), 4-3, unfinished
2. #27 Marcel Thiemann (OM) def. #53 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #98 Jonas Lutjen (OM) def. #39 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) 7-6, 6-2
4. William Kallberg (OM) def. #38 Tsvetan Mihov (OU) 6-4, 6-4
5. David Pultr (OU) vs. Chris Thiemann (OM) 5-7, 6-2, 1-2, unfinished
6. #63 Dane Webb (OU) vs. Johan Backstrom (OM) 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
1. Marcel Thiemann/Chris Thiemann (OM) def. #14 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OU) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Jonas Lutjen/Nik Scholtz (OM) def. #38 Peerakit Siributwong/Tsvetan Mihov (OU) 8-5
3. David Pultr/Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Johan Backstrom/William Kallberg (OM) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,3,2)