Return to Recap
|| Oklahoma Game Notes
• The Sooners won their third straight Big 12 Championship after becoming the first school in conference history to win back-to-back titles last season. OU has six Big 12 Titles, a mark that leads the conference. Only two other schools, Nebraska (2) and Texas (2), have won multiple titles. OU is 6-1 in Big 12 Championship games under head coach Bob Stoops.
• Oklahoma is the only team this season to record five wins over ranked opponents, topping TCU, Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Missouri. Saturday’s win was the third straight over a ranked team for the Sooners and the second straight away from home (OU topped then-No. 2 Texas Tech, 65-21 in Norman).
• With 627 yards of offense, the Sooners have produced 600 or more yards on four occasions this season and 500 or more yards of offense 10 times this season. OU’s total on Saturday set a Big 12 Championship record for a single game (Nebraska had 536 in 1997).
• The OU offense has scored 60 or more points in five straight games, an NCAA record. Overall, Sooner teams have scored 50 or more points in 134 games in school history.
• OU scored on its opening drive for the 11th time in 13 contests this season. Jimmy Stevens’ 20-yard field goal marked the first time the Sooners tallied a field goal to begin a game in 2008.
• The Sooners’ defense held Missouri scoreless on its opening drive of the game, a missed field goal, marking the seventh straight game that the opposition failed to score on its initial drive. In addition, OU has ended three drives with interceptions in that span (Oklahoma State, Nebraska and Kansas State). OU’s opponents have only scored six points during the opening drive (field goal by TCU and Texas).
• Chris Brown eclipsed the 1,000 yard rushing mark for the season in the first half and helped Oklahoma become the first program in FBS history to have two 1,000 yard rushers and a 4,000 yard passer in the same season (DeMarco Murray entered the game with 1,002 yards and Chris Brown had 988). Seven schools in FBS history have had a 4,000 yard passer and 1,000 yard rusher in the same season.
• For the first time in program history, OU has more than one player with 10 or more touchdown receptions in a season with Juaquin Iglesias’ 10 touchdowns and Jermaine Gresham’s 12 scores.
• With 38 points scored in the first half, the Sooners set a record for points scored in a season during the modern era with 678, besting the previous mark held by Hawaii in 2006 (656). The all-time mark is 765 posted by the 1886 Harvard team. The Sooners currently rank third on the all-time list with 702.
• The Sooners set a school record for total yards in a season after entering the game with 6,680. The previous best was 6,682 yards posted during the 2003 season.
• Over the last five games, OU has four turnovers against 21 takeaways. SAM BRADFORD
• With 384 passing yards, sophomore quarterback Sam Bradford passed Josh Heupel into second place all time at OU with 7,585 career passing yards. Heupel threw for 7,456 in his two seasons at OU and Jason White is the all-time leader with 7,922.
• Bradford threw for 300-plus yards for the fifth straight game and the 11th time this season. In the last three games against Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Missouri, Bradford had 1,058 yards passing and 10 passing touchdowns.
• Bradford set a Big 12 Championship record with 34 completions, topping Oklahoma’s Jason White’s 27 set during the 2003 title game. The performance was the third time this season that Bradford has had 30 or more completions. JUAQUIN IGLESIAS
• Senior wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias eclipsed the 1,000-yard receiving mark with 44 yards in the first half. Iglesias is the third Sooner in school history to record 1,000 yards or more in a season. His 1,011 yards trails Mark Clayton’s 1,425 in 2003 and Eddie Hinton’s 1,035 in 1968.
• Iglesias recorded two touchdown receptions in the first half, his second multi-touchdown game of his career. Iglesias also had two touchdowns at Tulsa in 2007. The two receiving scores tied a Big 12 Championship record set by four other players.
• Iglesias’ 125 yards marked the ninth time this season that a Sooner has recorded a 100 yards receiving in a
game. Iglesias has four of those performances and has accomplished the feat seven times in his career.
In addition, Iglesias has 69 receptions this season, a mark that ranks second all-time in a single season at OU,
passing his previous best of 68 set last season.TRAVIS LEWIS
• Travis Lewis recorded his 136th tackle of the season in the fourth quarter and set an OU freshman record
held by Brian Bosworth. Bosworth had 133 tackles in 1984.
• Lewis finished with 13 tackles, marking the sixth time he recorded 10 or more in a game this season.BRIAN JACKSON
• Junior defensive back Brian Jackson had a pair of turnovers in the fi rst half, marking the second time this
season that he has two turnovers in a game (two fumble recoveries at Washington).
• Junior running back Chris Brown became the 20th player in school history to rush for over a 1,000 yards in a
season and his total marks the 28th time that a Sooner has eclipsed the mark. Combined with DeMarco Murray’s
1,000-plus rushing yards this year, the Sooners have two 1,000-yard rushers for the third time in school
history (1973: Joe Washington and Waymon Clark and 1971: Greg Pruitt and Jack Mildren).
• With his 122 rushing yards, Brown eclipsed the 100-yard mark for the fi fth time this season. It marked the
10th time this season an OU back has hit triple digits as DeMarco Murray also has fi ve 100-yard games.
Saturday’s performance by Brown marked the fi rst time this season he recorded 100 yards rushing and Murray
• Brown rushed for three touchdowns and tied a Big 12 Championship record for rushing touchdowns. The
total tied a career-high for Brown and marked the fourth time this season he has had three rushing scores.
Brown has 11 rushing touchdowns over the last four games.JERMAINE GRESHAM
• In the last three games, all against ranked opponents, junior tight end Jermaine Greshman has posted
impressive numbers with three touchdowns off of 22 receptions and 335 yards.
• Gresham hauled in eight catches for 82 yards on Saturday and has posted at least 50 yards in six of the last
eight games and eight times this season.
• The sophomore running back set career highs with three rushing touchdowns and 114 yards on the ground.
The rushing touchdown total also tied a Big 12 Championship record.NIC HARRIS
• Senior defensive back Nic Harris tied a career high with 10 tackles on Saturday. Harris had 10 tackles in
2007 at Colorado. BY THE NUMBERS
5 - Lendy Holmes recorded his team-leading fifth interception of the season in the fourth quarter. It was the second interception for OU's defense on Saturday, marking the 38th time an OU team has recorded multiple picks in the last 84 games.
6 - OU won its third straight Big 12 Championship and sixth overall. The Sooners are 6-1 in Big 12 Championship games under head coach Bob Stoops.
7 - The Sooners' defense has held the opposition scoreless on its opening drive in seven straight games. In that span, OU has ended three of the opponents' drives with an interception.
21 - The OU defense held Missouri's offense to a season-low 21 points.
30 - OU posted over 30 first downs for the fifth time this season and set a Big 12 Championship record with 39 (season high). The previous best was 26, recorded three times.
38 - The Sooners' 38 first half points is the second most scored in a first half in Big 12 Championship history behind the 42 tallied by Texas in the 2005 game. OU's 31 halftime lead is the third largest in championship history.
97 - OU and Missouri have met 97 times and the Sooners hold a 65-23-5 advantage.
115 - The Sooners' defense forced three turnovers on Saturday and has forced at least one turnover in 115 of Bob Stoops' 131 games.
243 - The Sooners rushed for over 200 yards in Saturday’s game, the 41st time under Coach Stoops and the 35th in the last five years.
2,171 - With a 30-yard kickoff return to begin the game, DeMarco Murray moved into first place all-time at OU with 2,171 all-purpose yards. The previous best was 2,148 held by Quentin Griffi n in 2002.
71,004 - Tonight’s attendance at Arrowhead Stadium.