Return to Recap
|| Oklahoma Game Notes
• The Sooner defense limited Texas, the nation’s top scoring offense at 47.2 points per game, to 16 points today and caused three turnovers.
• OU recovered two fumbles in the first half and has at least one fumble recovery in four games this season. OU also had two fumble recoveries against BYU and Idaho State.
• Oklahoma has not allowed a single point in the first quarter in eight straight games dating back to last season (Missouri and Florida). The Sooners have allowed only three first-quarter points in the last 12 games. Kansas State was the last opponent to score a TD in the first quarter (Oct. 25, 2008). In addition, the OU defense is allowing just four points per game in the first half this season.
• The OU defense recorded four sacks, tied for the second-most in series history (2008).
• Senior Brian Jackson recorded an interception for the fourth straight game, marking the seventh of his career. OU has recorded at least one pick in 92 of the last 120 outings.
|| Individual Notes
• Following a one-game absence, Broyles hauled in a 35-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter and moved into ninth place all-time at OU with 14 career TD receptions. The sophomore has accumulated that total in just over a season of action as a Sooner. Each of the eight Sooners ahead of him have at least three seasons played under their belt. His eight TD receptions this season is tied for the sixth most in a season at OU.
• Murray finished with 116 receiving yards, a career high, and recorded the third-most total by an OU running back in school history. The last 100-yard performance by an OU running back was posted by Quentin Griffin in 2001 (111 vs. North Texas). The last Sooner to have 100 yards receiving against Texas is Malcolm Kelly (105 in 2007). Eight different Sooners have accomplished the feat against the Longhorns, all receivers.
• Murray had a career long 64-yard reception during the Sooners’ opening drive of the game. Murray’s previous best was a 34-yard grab in the 2008 game against Texas. Murray’s previous career high for yards receiving in a game was 71 versus Texas Tech in 2008.
• With a 113 all-purpose yards today, Murray moved into ninth place on OU’s all-time list, passing Eddie Hinton (4,000) with 4,098. Next on the list is De’Mond Park with 4,129 yards.
• The senior defensive end forced his first career fumble on the Longhorns’ opening drive. English is the seventh different Sooner to force a fumble in 2009. English finished with a season-high two sacks and all three of his tackles were for loss.
• Beal set a career high with 12 tackles and recorded his double-digit game as a Sooner. Beal had 10 tackles against Cincinnati in 2008.
• McCoy had two tackles for loss for nine yards in the first half, upping his season total to 9.5 (36 yards). McCOy also had a game-high five quarterback hurries.
• Stevens’ connected on two field goals (26 and 37) in the first quarter for the fifth multi-field goal of his career and fourth this season. Stevens converted eight straight attempts prior to the 45-yard miss towards the end of the first quarter. The last Sooner kicker to make eight straight field goals was Garrett Hartley in 2006 (finished the season with 11 straight).
|| By the Numbers
- Today’s attendance marked a Cotton Bowl and OU-Texas series record. It was also the largest crowd ever to witness an OU game. The previous high was last year’s Red River Rivalry (92,182).
- Mossis Madu had 108 yards on five kickoff returns marking the first such performance by a Sooner in 2009. The last was DeMarco Murray’s 196-yard performance against Oklahoma State in 2008.
- Brody Eldridge wore No. 50 today and made his first start at left guard. Eldridge also started at center in the season opener at BYU. He has started three different positions in 2009 with four starts at tight end.
- Franks had a 30-yard punt return in the second quarter, marking the third straight game with at least one return of 30 or more yards.
- Demontre Hurst recorded his first career sack in the second quarter. He is the 10th different to record a sack this season. OU entered the game ranked fourth in the nation in sacks per game.
- Total net punt return yards by OU opponents through six games.
|| Texas Game Notes