Tia Brooks broke the Sooner Invitational meet record in the women's shot put.
Feb. 16, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma Track and Field team wrapped up the 2013 indoor regular season Saturday when it played host to the Sooner Invitational at the Mosier Indoor Facility. Six Sooners left the meet with individual victories.
Senior Tia Brooks set a new Sooner Invitational meet record in the shot put after she measured a 60-3.25
(18.32m) throw to claim her eight straight win in the event, while fellow field competitor freshman Everette Favor took the men's pole-vault title after he cleared a personal-best 17-1.00 (5.21m).
On the track, senior Andrew Weaver claimed the men's 1,000-meter run after he stopped the clock at 2:32.15, while freshman Daunicia Demerson crossed the finish line in 1:27.36 to take first in the women's 600-yard run.
Four members of the women's squad teamed together to finish in the top two of their respective events.
Claire McConnell and Whitney Johnson paired to go one-two in the women's long jump, each with career performances. McConnell leapt 19-2-75 (5.86m), while Johnson totaled an 18-9.75 (5.73m) jump to take the second-place spot.
Georgina Tamez-Reyna and Alisa Jenkins followed suit after they finished directly behind one another in the women's 60-meter finals. Tamez-Reyna captured the win with a personal-best 8.73 (8.721) run, while Jenkins stopped the clocked at the same time, 8.73 (8.726), for the runner-up spot, their results separated by thousandths of a second.
Seven other women collected top-three finishes for OU on the day.
Senior Kristen Rice took second in the women's high jump after she cleared, 5-7.00 (1.70m), while a pair of freshmen finished third in their respective events after Rachel Bolton matched a personal-best 12-6.00 (3.81m) in the pole vault competition and Brooke Garner threw the shot put 48-10.00 (14.88m).
On the track a pair freshman, Cessily Jones and Ebanga Arrey, clocked career-best performances in their respective events after Jones stopped the clock at 7.58 to finish second in the 60-meter dash, and Arrey crossed the line in 1:28.39 to take third in the 600-yard run.
Three Sooners improved their marks in the women's weight throw, as freshman Sarah Tolson led the way with a 59-7.75/18.18m throw for second place. The distance marked the first time in her young career that she has surpassed the 60-foot barrier, as she becomes only the second woman in OU history to reach 60-feet or more in the event.
Fellow freshmen Kate Foster and Elizabeth Herrs also improved their marks with distances of 55-8.25 (16.97m) and 49-11.00 (15.21m), respectively, to finish fourth and ninth in the field. Foster's 55-8.25 moves her to sixth all-time on the Oklahoma performance list.
Additionally, four other men combined to collect top-three finishes for the Crimson and Cream.
Landon Sharp and Austin Perry each took second in their respective field events after Sharp cleared 6-8.00 (2.03m) in the high jump, and Perry totaled a throw of 59-7.50 (18.17m) in the shot put competition. On the track, Allen stopped the clock at 1:14.13 in the 600-yard run for the runner-up spot. Tanner Callihan joined Sharp and Perry after he cleared 15-7.25 (4.76m) in the pole vault competition to finish third in the field.
Junior Matt Wicks had an impressive day after he clocked in lower-and-lower each time he took to the track. In the 60-meter hurdle prelims, he crossed the finish line in 8.07 to advance to the finals, where he stopped the clock at 8.03 for a new career-low and fifth-place finish in the race.
Senior Mitchell Holden also had a noteworthy performance in the men's weight throw competition with a personal-best, 57-1.50 (17.41m), to finish fifth overall. With the new mark, Holden bumps from fourth- to second-overall in the OU record books, as only the second Sooner all-time to surpass 57-or-more feet in the event.
Fellow field competitors and freshmen, Kaelan Washington and Deon Pinder, improved their marks in each of their respective events. Washington leapt to a personal-best 23-5.25 (7.14m) to take eighth in the long jump, while Pinder totaled a 47-6.50(14.49m) jump to take fourth in the triple jump competition.
Next up for the Sooners is the postseason run with a trip north to Ames, Iowa, next weekend, for the Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championships. The 2013 Indoor NCAA Championships will run March 8-9 in Fayetteville, Ark., at the Randal Tyson Track Center.
2013 SOONER INVITATIONAL FIELD EVENT RESULTS
Women's High Jump
2. Kristen Rice, Sr., 5-7.00/1.70m
4. Abbie Wallace, Fr., 5-5.00/1.65m
Men's High Jump
2. Landon Sharp, Jr., 6-8.00/2.03m
6. Seth Lewandowski, Jr., 5-10.00/1.78m
Women's Pole Vault
3. Rachel Bolton, Fr., 12-6.00/3.81*
7. Jacy Bennett, Sr., 12-0.00/3.66m
13. Morgan Nichols, Jr., 11-6.25/3.51m
Men's Pole Vault
1. Everette Favor, Fr., 17-1.00/5.21m*
3. Tanner Callihan, Fr., 15-7.25/4.76m
Women's Long Jump
1. Claire McConnell, Sr., 19-2-75/5.86m*
2. Whitney Johnson, Sr., 18-9.75/5.73m*
Men's Long Jump
8. Kaelan Washington, Fr., 23-5.25/7.14m*
Men's Triple Jump
4. Deon Pinder, Fr., 47-6.50/14.94m*
Women's Shot Put
1. Tia Brooks, Sr., 60-3.25/18.32m#
3. Brooke Garner, Fr., 48-10.00/14.88m
5. Avione Allgood, Fr., 46-8.75*
10. Alexandra Morgan, So., 40-7.50/12.38m
Men's Shot Put
2. Austin Perry, Fr., 59-7.50/18.17m
4. Conrad Aaron, Sr., 56-1.00/17.09m
6. Tyler Sergent, So., 53-0.25/16.16m
Women's Weight Throw
2. Sarah Tolson, Fr., 59-7.75/18.18m*
3. Rylee Rackley, So., 56-2.50/17.13m
4. Kate Foster, Fr., 55-8.25/16.97m*
6. Brooke Garner, Fr., 52-11.00/16.13m
9. Elizabeth Herrs, Fr., 49-11.00/15.21m*
Men's Weight Throw
5. Holden Mitchell, Sr., 57-1.50/17.41m*
2013 SOONER INVITATIONAL RUNNING EVENT RESULTS
Women's 60-meter Dash Prelims
3. Cessily Jones, Fr., 7.62^
Women's 60-meter Dash Finals
2. Cessily Jones, Fr., 7.58*
Men's 60-meter Dash Prelims
12. Waymon Storey, Jr., 6.99
14. Mason Williams, So., 7.10*
Men's 200-meter Dash
7. Mason Williams, So., 22.78
Women's 600-yard Run
1. Daunicia Demerson, Fr., 1:27.36*
3. Ebanga Arrey, Fr., 1:28.39*
Men's 600-yard Run
2. Allen Eke, Fr., 1:14.13
4. Scott Petersen, Fr., 1:15.21*
Men's 1,000-meter Run
1. Andrew Weaver, Sr., 2:32.15*
Women's Mile Run
7. Robin Ray, Sr., 5:28.44
Women's 60-meter Hurdles Prelims
1. Alisa Jenkins, Sr., 8.66*^
2. Georgina Tamez-Reyna, Fr., 8.75^
7. Claire McConnell, Sr., 8.90
Women's 60-meter Hurdles Finals
1. Georgina Tamez-Reyna, Fr., 8.73*
2. Alisa Jenkins, Sr., 8.73
Men's 60-meter Hurdles Prelims
1. Matt Wicks, Jr., 8.07*^
5. Nathaniel Winfrey, Sr., 8.17^
15. Seth Lewandowski, Jr., 9.02*
Men's 60-meter Hurdles Finals
4. Matt Wicks, Jr., 8.03*
5. Nathaniel Winfrey, Sr., 8.17
^advances to finals