Mossman Prophecies No. 019
July 2, 2007
Some random thoughts while getting ready for the home
• Oklahoma's players did not recover the
onside kick at Texas A&M last Saturday because
they did not realize they had to actually possess the
ball. Previous experience taught them that merely touching
the ball was sufficient.
• How bummed are the Big 12 women's basketball
coaches going to be when they see this OU freshman
• Bob Stoops has done a great coaching
job this season. Likewise for Martin Smith who is quietly
building something special in cross country and track
and field. But I think even those two guys would point
to volleyball coach Santiago Restrepo as the star of
the fall. Restrepo has taken the Sooners from a bye-type
opponent to a No. 15 national ranking.
• What if Oklahoma still ran the wishbone
and you had Adrian Peterson at one halfback and Allen
Patrick at the other?
• Would it be safe to say that Peterson
and Patrick are the most lethal rushing roommates in
the country? I'd say so.
• Bob Stoops said of Lendy Holmes, "He's
just a football player." I'm not sure a player could
get higher praise from the OU coach.
• I've never met anyone whose personality
covers all the generations quite like Jeff Capel. His
maturity level overwhelms people 20 years his senior
while his cool side plays well with people 10 years
• If you were starting a quartet and needed
a bass singer, Capel would be your man. Richard Sterban
(Oak Ridge Boys) has nothing on the OU coach. Remember
that song "Elvira?" Capel could do that, I swear, although
I am guessing his Ipod would melt down if you tried
to load an Oak Ridge Boys song.
• The most under-rated OU sport to attend
is gymnastics. Want to see something in-person that
looks almost exactly like the best you will ever see
on TV? Go to a gymnastics meet. The proficiency level
will surprise you.
• Did you know that OU Athletics receives
no financial support from the university's central
budget? Some know that and some don't. OU Athletics
also receives no support from student fees.
• The enhancement fee attached to OU football
ticket sales has contributed more than $2.5 million
to the university's academic side since it was implemented
three years ago. Also, the athletics department has
contributed $250,000 towards its $1 million pledge
to Bizzell Library.
• Prentice Gautt and Carl Pendleton would
have been big buddies.
• When the fans at Texas A&M lock arms
and sway back and forth, the press box moves significantly.
They tell us there is no danger. Do you buy that? Me
• I like the fact that each year fans have
to debate which senior should win the Don Key Award.
• If a friend in need is a friend indeed,
the Jacob Gutierrez is an awfully good friend to Sooner
football. Every time there is a need, Jacob is there.
Mossman Prophecies Archive
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Kenny Mossman, Associate Athletics Director for
Communications, provides his perspective on Oklahoma
Athletics in his regular column on SoonerSports.com.