NORMAN — University of Oklahoma Vice President and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione announced today the completion of master plans for expansion and enhancements at L. Dale Mitchell Park.
Populous, the architectural firm retained for the south end zone project at Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, has performed the work on the ballpark.
"We are focused on developing a plan that allows us to modernize the facilities and improve them for both student-athletes and spectators alike."
— Joe Castiglione
“We are focused on developing a plan that allows us to modernize the facilities and improve them for both student-athletes and spectators alike,” said Castiglione. “We have addressed many of our facilities in recent years and we now turn our attention to baseball.
“With the master plan complete, we will focus on fund-raising efforts that will allow us to approach the project prudently. I'm optimistic that donors to our program will see the value and efficiency of this project and help us see it to completion.”
The full master plan calls for approximately $10 million of work. That work could be phased if necessary. Castiglione added that the timeline for the work is yet to be established, but that the department is anxious to move the projects forward.
L. Dale Mitchell Park
The most visible aspect of the baseball project would be the development of the berms along the first and third base lines. Renovation of the existing berms along the first and third base side of the ball park would include the following:
- Terraced seating to allow for a combination of terraced picnic type seating on grass.
- Outdoor lounge seating on terraced wall.
- First base club consisting of drink rails, lounge seating, table-top seating.
- Outdoor concession area reminiscent of an outdoor sports lounge with TVs and specialty lighting.
- Integrated extension of the shade awning along the first base side.
- Expanded upper concourse.
- Outdoor lounge seating with shading devices.
- Shaded terraced awning in the shape of a baseball at the far end of the berms that will allow for bar height drink rails.
Also in the plan is a second level clubhouse, coaches office and team meeting space.