Advance registration has been closed but tickets will be available at the door starting at 5:30 p.m.
The University of Oklahoma has announced a new hands-on fan event that will take place Thursday, Aug. 4, at the Oklahoma City State Fairgrounds. The inaugural Sooner Sports Experience will incorporate elements of usual Sooner Caravan outings while featuring an interactive format that will allow fans access to OU head coaches and student-athletes.
The come-and-go event, which will be held from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Cox Pavilion and be limited to the first 1,000 ticket purchases, will afford fans the opportunity to engage in athletic activities with student-athletes from most OU sports.
Tickets cost $25 for adults and are free for kids 12 and under. If tickets remain at the time of the event, they will be available at the door.
Head football coach Bob Stoops and head men's and women's basketball coaches Lon Kruger and Sherri Coale will sign autographs starting at approximately 6:30 p.m. The trio, along with selected OU student-athletes, will also publicly discuss the Sooners' 2015-16 athletics accomplishments and the outlook for the upcoming year.
Hots dogs, hamburgers and pulled pork will be available for purchase, as will Kona Ice snow cones. Fans will also have a chance to interact with numerous OU student-athletes from various sports and take a behind-the-scenes tour of the SoonerVision production truck and gameday set. Various OU celebrities, the OU spirit squad, the Pride of Oklahoma and live mascots Boomer and Sooner will also be in attendance. A D.J. will play music and door prizes will be awarded.
Free parking will be available near the Cox Pavilion, and a complimentary shuttle service will run from 5 to 8:30 p.m.
Experiences & Participants
The following participants and activities have been confirmed for Aug. 4. Please stay tuned as more will be added leading up to the event.
- Autographs with head coaches Sherri Coale, Lon Kruger & Bob Stoops
- Photo opportunity with OU's three National Championship trophies from 2015-16
- Shoot hoops with men's basketball's Khadeem Lattin, Jamuni McNeace & Jordan Woodard
- Batting practice with softball National Championship team members Kelsey Arnold, Caleigh Clifton, Raegan Rogers & Hannah Sparks
- Tumble with OU's men's and women's gymnastics National Championship team members Charity Jones, Tanner Justice, Maile'ana Kanewa, Nicole Lehrmann, Kara Lovan, Alex Powarzynski, Reese Rickett, Megan Thompson, Nicole Turner, Matt Wenske and Josh Yee.
- Play catch with baseball's Domenic DeRenzo, Jack Flansburg & Quin Walbergh
- Bump, set, spike with volleyball's Audrey Alford, Mandy Dolph, Morgan Turner & Madison Ward
- Practice your swing on a golf simulator with members of the OU men's and women's golf teams
- Try out the rowing machine with members of the OU rowing team
- Call a play from the Sooner Sports TV desk and tour the production truck
- More participants and experiences to be added in the coming days...