WEDNESDAY'S GAME BASICS
The Sooners hit the road for the fourth time in five games as OU takes on South Dakota State inside Frost Arena. Wednesday's game marks the first time OU has ever played a game in the state of South Dakota. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT.
ON THE AIR
Wednesday's game will be streamed live on ESPN3, which is available on WatchESPN.com and the ESPN app. The contest will also air on the Sooner Radio Network with Brian Brinkley and McKenna Treece calling the action.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
• Oklahoma travels to South Dakota State for its first-ever road meeting with the Jackrabbits. The Sooners are looking to break a three-game losing skid. A win would also snap a four-game road losing streak that dates back to the second round of last year's NCAA Tournament against Washington.
• Shaina Pellington provided 22 points off the bench against Florida, just one point shy of tying her career high which came earlier this season at DePaul. Over the last two games, the freshman is averaging 18.5 points per game and shooting .600 from the field. She leads Big 12 freshmen scoring (13.0 ppg) and field goal percentage (.551). Pellington is also the first OU freshman to have multiple 20-point scoring performances in one season since Aaryn Ellenberg accomplished that feat during the 2010-11 season.
• Ana Llanusa has scored in double figures in five of her first seven games as a Sooner, providing OU with a scoring option off the bench. Llanusa scored a season-high 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting against Florida on Sunday.
• Gabbi Ortiz has provided the Sooners with a consistent 3-point threat through the first seven games. Ortiz is averaging a team-best .392 3-point shooting percentage, which ranks 10th in the Big 12. The senior also ranks first in the league in minutes played per game (37.2) and is second in made 3-pointers per game (2.9).
• In OU's three wins, getting to the free throw line has been key. The Sooners are averaging 18.0 free throws made per game in each victory this season. Nationally, the Sooners rank 48th in the nation in free throws made (118) and free throw attempts (166). The Sooners are second in the Big 12 with a .711 free throw percentage.
GAME SEVEN RECAP: FLORIDA
• Oklahoma dropped an 80-61 matchup with Florida on Sunday afternoon in the Big 12/SEC Challenge inside Lloyd Noble Center. Oklahoma was led by freshman Shaina Pellington, who recorded 22 points on 11-of-17 shooting in 26 minutes off the bench. The freshman's 22 points were one shy of tying her career high.
• Ana Llanusa added 13 points and five rebounds, while Maddie Manning contributed 11 points and six rebounds. Llanusa has scored in double figures five times during her first seven games as a Sooner.
• Florida knocked down 12 3-pointers against the Sooners and won the rebounding margin, 55-32. The Sooners shot just .346 from the field (27-of-78), .150 from deep (3-of-20) and .500 from the free throw line (4-of-8). Down 33-23 at halftime, the Sooners closed the gap to within seven points midway through the third quarter, but Florida responded by outscoring OU, 33-21, in the final frame.
• The Gators were led by Dyandria Anderson's 29 points, while Funda Nakkasoglu scored 24 points. Anderson was 8-of-11 from the field, 6-of-7 from deep and 7-of-9 from the free throw line for Florida. Nakkasoglu hit four treys and added four steals. The Sooners' bench outscored Florida, 48-0, while OU registered just seven turnovers. OU forced 21 Florida turnovers, but the Sooners could only score 16 points off of the Gators' miscues.
Gileysa Penzo made her first career start Sunday against Florida.
PREVIEWING SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
• South Dakota State enters Wednesday's contest with a 6-2 record after nearly upsetting No. 4/5 Louisville on Sunday in Brookings, S.D. The Jackrabbits fell 68-64 to the Cardinals. The Jackrabbits are averaging 70.4 points per game and are shooting .382 from the field, .314 from beyond the arc and .775 at the free throw line. South Dakota State's .775 clip at the foul line ranks 17th in Division I.
• Redshirt junior guard Macy Miller leads the Jackrabbits in scoring with 16.4 points per game and is shooting .412 from the floor and .438 from beyond the arc. Junior guard Madison Guebert is also averaging in doubles figures at 14.3 points per game. Guebert is 11th in the nation in free throw percentage at .926.
• South Dakota is led by 18th-year head coach Aaron Johnson. Johnston has led the Jackrabbits from Division II to Division I and has guided South Dakota State to seven NCAA Tournament appearances since the 2004-05 season.
• OU is 2-0 all-time against South Dakota State and won last year's meeting with the Jackrabbits, 74-60, in Norman.
• In last year's matchup, the Sooners forced South Dakota State into 22 turnovers on 12 steals to earn the win. Peyton Little scored 17 points and knocked down four treys in the victory.
• During OU's run to the 2010 Final Four, the Sooners topped South Dakota State, 68-57, at Lloyd Noble Center during the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Four Sooners scored in double figures led by Nyeshia Stevenson's 17 points.
ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF
• OU’s freshman class of Ana Llanusa, Shaina Pellington and Mandy Simpson have excelled in the Sooners' first seven games. Llanusa has scored in double figures in five of OU's first seven games of the season. Against Florida, Llanusa scored a season-high 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting in 23 minutes, while adding five rebounds.
• Pellington has scored 20-plus points twice this season and led the Sooners with 22 points on 11-of-17 shooting against Florida on Sunday. Pellington is the first OU freshman to have multiple 20-point scoring performances in one year since Aaryn Ellenberg during the 2010-11 season.
• Simpson, who has started all seven games, earned Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors on Nov. 13 after posting 12 points, five rebounds and three assists against Belmont.
• Oklahoma is 26-15 all-time against current teams in the Summit League. OU has faced current Summit League teams: Denver (2-0), Omaha (1-0) and Oral Roberts (21-15).
• OU's seven turnovers against Florida were the second fewest in a single game during the Sherri Coale era. The Sooners also outscored Florida's bench, 48-0, in Sunday's game.
• Wednesday's game at South Dakota State will mark the 700th game for Oklahoma head coach Sherri Coale.
• The Sooners are playing their first-ever game in the state of South Dakota. After Wednesday's game, OU will have played in 38 of 50 states.
• Gabbi Ortiz has hit 34 straight shots at the charity stripe dating back to Feb. 11, 2017 at Texas Tech. Ortiz's streak is tied for the third-longest streak in program history. LaNeisha Caufield's streak of 38 consecutive free throws made during the 2001-02 season.
• The Sooners tied a program record for most 3-point attempts in a half with 19 against SMU on Nov 17. OU knocked down nine triples in the opening two quarters, which was also one shy of tying a school record.
• Oklahoma’s non-conference schedule includes matchups against five NCAA Tournament teams from last season (Belmont, DePaul, Oregon, UConn and South Dakota State). Nine of the Sooners' 11 non-conference opponents made postseason appearances last year.
OU returns home Saturday to face No. 16 South Florida at 2 p.m. CT inside Norman. The Bulls are the first top-25 team to face the Sooners on their home floor since No. 5 Louisville in 2013 during the Preseason WNIT Final.