NORMAN, Okla.— Frigid temperatures and high winds couldn’t derail the No. 17 Oklahoma women’s tennis team (11-3, 1-1 Big 12) as they won their first conference match of the season, 5-2, over No. 49 TCU (8-8, 1-2) Sunday, March 23 at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
It only took 27 minutes for sophomore Emma Devine and freshman Morgan Chumney to down their opponents on court two. The duo jumped out to a 5-0 lead before giving up their only game of the set. The pair easily won their next three games to give the Sooners an early advantage.
Seniors Mia Lancaster and Whitney Ritchie battled back from a 6-3 deficit to tie the set at seven-all and force a tiebreak. Their comeback ultimately fell short, leaving the doubles point in the hands of court three.
Senior Hermon Brhane and partner Zita Engbroks battled it out on the third court and clinched the doubles point for Oklahoma after besting Tatum Nowlin and Sofiko Kadzhaya 8-5.
In singles play, junior Abbi Melrose recorded the second point for the Sooners after her opponent defaulted due to injury.
Devine had an impressive performance on court five as she topped Monika Sirilova 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. Her win gave the Sooners a 3-1 lead with the top three courts still battling it out.
“She had a tough night Friday and kind of carried that loose play in to the first set,” OU women’s head coach David Mullins said. “Once she found a rhythm early in the second set, she really locked into it and looked like her old self.”
Clinching the match for the Sooners was Lancaster on court three. Lancaster fell behind early with a 4-6 loss in the first set but fought back to win the second and third sets 7-5 and 6-2 respectively.
Ritchie, who was absent from Friday’s singles lineup, earned the last point for the Sooners with a hard fought 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 win over last week’s Big 12 Player of the Week, Simona Parajova.
The Sooners will travel to the Sunflower State this weekend to take on Kansas State and Kansas. The team will play in Manhattan, Kan. on Friday and will travel to Lawrence for Sunday’s match.
OKLAHOMA 5 TCU 2
1. Arantekin/Tan (TCU) def. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) 8-7, (10-8)
2. Devine/Chumney (OU) def. Parajova/Sirilova (TCU) 8-1
3. Brhane/Engbroks (OU) def. Nowlin/Kadzhaya (TCU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Stefanie Tan (TCU) def. Hermon Brhane (OU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Simona Parajova (TCU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Seda Arantekin (TCU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Sofiko Kadzhaya (TCU) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Emma Devine (OU) def. Monika Sirilova (TCU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Tatum Nowlin (TCU) 4-0, inj. def.
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5, 3, 1, 2