Athletics Communications
By Athletics Communications
University of Oklahoma
MAY 20, 2013


Prospective Licensees | Campus Departments | Student Organizations | Retailers | Fans | FAQs

Any entity wishing to use OU's trademarks on products must first obtain a license. There are four types of product licenses available, three of which are managed through the Collegiate Licensing Company.
Please click on the type of license you're interested in obtaining:

I'd like to become licensed to produce products that will be sold at retail.
I'd like to become licensed to produce products for campus departments or student groups.
I'd like to become licensed to sell craft items.
I'd like to license OU photos or video footage.
I'd like to use one of OU's trademarks for a purpose not listed above.

CLC Licenses

The Collegiate Licensing Company is OU's licensing representative/agent that assists OU in processing licensing applications for all companies that wish to produce OU products that are sold at retail or for campus departments and student groups and managing some of the logistics of OU's program. There are three types of licenses that can be obtained for OU through CLC:

Types of CLC Licenses

Internal Campus Supplier: An Internal Campus Supplier license is needed for companies wishing to produce products only for OU campus departments and groups. ICS licensees are not allowed to sell merchandise at retail.
Current OU ICS Licensees

Local: Local licensees must be headquartered within the state of Oklahoma and be licensed with no more than five in-state universities. Local licensees are allowed to sell product at retail. Royalties are assessed on all merchandise sold.
Current OU Local Licensees

Standard: A standard license is needed for companies headquartered within the state of Oklahoma that are licensed with six or more in-state universities OR for companies headquartered outside of Oklahoma. Like local licensees, standard licensees are also allowed to sell product at retail, and royalties are assessed on all merchandise sold.
Current OU Standard Licensees

CLC Licensing Process

1. If you are interested in obtaining an OU license, please complete a licensing application available at Please note that an application fee will apply. 

2. Once you have submitted your application, CLC will review the application to ensure that all needed paperwork has been submitted and then forward the application onto OU.

3. Depending upon the time of year that the application has been submitted, it can take up to three to four weeks for OU to review your application. Though other factors are considered when reviewing new licensing requests, OU reviews all applications based on the following key criteria:
   a. Company business plan
   b. Sales history
   c. Previous licensing experience
   d. Product uniqueness
   e. Appropriateness of product
   f. Product viability/market demand
   g. Current retail relationships (for prospective Local and Standard licensees only)

4. CLC will alert you when OU has made its decision regarding your application. Due to the large number of licensing requests OU receives, please do not call the OU Office of Trademark Licensing to check on the status of your application.

Crafter's License

A crafter's license is reserved for individuals wishing to produce handmade OU products. This license is ideal for fans who are interested in producing small quantities of merchandise for craft fairs and online marketplaces instead of at retail stores. If interested in obtaining a crafter's license, please email or call (405) 325-7008.

OU Video Footage and Photos

The Office of Trademark Licensing also provides licensing and rights clearance for OU video footage and photos to be used as content for licensed products, TV shows and movies, ad campaigns, publications and more.

The OU photo and video archive is one of the most robust university collections, containing more than 10,000 video tapes, dating from the 1930s, and thousands of game action, posed and mug shots from as far back as 1950.
If you are requesting OU-owned video footage, please first read the Video Request Guidelines, then fill out the OU Video Request Form. For photo requests, please review the Photo Request Guidelines and complete the OU Photo Request Form.

On-Campus Filming & Photography

If you are interested in filming or taking photos on campus, please read through OU's On-Campus Filming and Photography Guidelines, then fill out the On-Campus Filming and Photography Request Form.

Other Trademark Usage Requests

If you intend to use OU's trademarks for other commercial purposes not described above, please complete the One-Time Licensing Request Form. OU will respond to your request within one week.

Still have questions? Please visit our FAQ page.




Sooner Sports Properties, LLC, is the multimedia rights holder for athletics at the University of Oklahoma.
Sooner Sports Properties is a joint venture of Learfield Communications, Tyler Media, LLC and Griffin Television.


Sooner Sports Powered by FOX Sports is a multi-platform network that provides distribution of 1,000+ hours of Sooner sports programming annually on a variety of FOX Sports outlets, including FOX Sports Oklahoma, FOX Sports Southwest, and FOX College Sports.
  • David Stanley Junior Captain
    Billy Sims
    Red River Showdown
    Ford Patriot of the Game
    OU IT Store Student Fan of the Game