Created by the Oklahoma Territorial Legislature in 1890, the University of Oklahoma is a doctoral degree-granting research university serving the educational, cultural, economic and health-care needs of the state, region and nation.
The University's first president, David Ross Boyd, arrived in Norman in August of 1892. By 1895, there were four faculty members, three men and one woman, and 100 students enrolled.
Today there are more than 30,000 students at the University. It is Norman's largest employer, and the city itself has grown to a population of more than 110,000 residents.
The Norman campus serves as home to all of the university’s academic programs except health-related fields. The OU Health Sciences Center, which is located in Oklahoma City, is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges. Both the Norman and Health Sciences Center colleges offer programs at the Schusterman Center, the site of OU-Tulsa.
OU has more than 2,600 full-time faculty members, and has 20 colleges offering 163 majors at the baccalaureate level, 157 majors at the master’s level, 81 majors at the doctoral level, 28 majors at the doctoral professional level, and 28 graduate certificates. The university’s annual operating budget is $1.5 billion.
It is a majestic campus with meticulously manicured grounds, thanks to a $3 million endowment for flowers and landscaping. There are sculptures by internationally renowned artists, serene park and fountain settings, and soaring Prairie Gothic architecture in every direction.
The Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art has been acclaimed as one of the finest university art museums in the country, and it recently received the largest gift of French Impressionist paintings - the Weitzenhoffer Collection - ever given to a university.
"This is truly an exciting time for the University and Norman," says OU President David L. Boren. "With a combined force of academics and industry, our possibilities for the twenty-first century are limitless."
Official site of the University of Oklahoma