McCasland Field House
Located in the heart of campus just north of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the Howard McCasland Field House provides the OU men's gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling programs with a first-class training and competition venue.
In the summer of 2012, the OU Athletics Department completed a major renovation of the Field House. The list of improvements included refurbished exterior brick, new windows and entry doors, a complete roof replacement and a remodel of the volleyball offices, locker and team rooms, renovation of main lobby, restrooms and concessions.
In 2005, the Field House underwent a $6 million facelift that included a complete interior renovation. The historic floor was resanded and repainted with four efficient practice courts and chair-back seating that offers fans more comfort. In addition, the entire facility was repainted and improvements were made to the HVAC system, sound system, lighting and scoreboards. The Sooners also enjoyed renovations done to the training room as well as an upgrade to the facility's locker rooms.
Originally opened in 1928, the Field House was once the home of the men's basketball team. More than 5,000 fans were in attendance for the facility's first game on January 13, 1928, as the Sooners beat the Kansas Jayhawks, 45-19. Since its construction, the Field House has been home to numerous sports. In addition to the basketball programs, volleyball, men's and women's gymnastics and wrestling have all featured events here.
In addition to sporting events, the Field House has hosted several notable musicians and entertainers in its history. Oklahoma students have watched acts including Jimi Hendrix (1970), Bill Cosby (1968), Henry Mancini (1963), Sonny and Cher (1969), Nat King Cole (1956) and Duke Ellington (1956). Former President Bill Clinton spoke at the Field House during the 2008 Presidential campaign.
A former captain and center for the Oklahoma basketball team from 1914-16, Howard McCasland was an outstanding player who local Sooner fans flocked to the gym to watch. During his senior campaign in 1916, McCasland totaled 407 points, which accounted for half of the entire team's season total. The Field House is named in his honor.