NORMAN, Okla.— The Oklahoma women’s tennis team saw the season come to an end as the 18th-ranked Sooners fell to No. 12 Miami, 4-0, in the second round of the NCAA Championships.
"This has been a remarkable season and the team far surpassed my expectations," OU head coach David Mullins said. "It is sad to say goodbye to four amazing seniors but I am also excited about building on our progress from this year."
Oklahoma (17-7, 6-3 Big 12) advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for just the fourth time in program history and second time under Mullins.
"It's always disappointing when the season comes to an abrupt end," Mullins said. "We fought hard today but Miami was just too good and rode a lot of momentum after saving a matchpoint in doubles."
The Sooners fought hard in doubles to start the match, but dropped just their fifth doubles point of the season.
Senior Whitney Ritchie and freshman Morgan Chumney paired up at the No. 1 spot to record an 8-5 win over the 8th-ranked duo of Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno.
Senior Mia Lancaster and sophomore Zita Engbroks fell at the No. 3 position to leave the doubles point in the hands of court two. Hermon Brhane and Whitney Wofford fell just short in a tiebreaker and Miami took a 1-0 lead before singles.
Miami took a 2-0 lead after Chumney fell 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot. Sophomore Emma Devine fell 6-0, 6-3 at No. 5 to put the Hurricanes up 3-0.
The Hurricanes clinched their victory as Brhane fell 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 2 spot. Miami will advance to the Sweet Sixteen of the 2014 NCAA Championships held in Athens, Georgia, May 15-20.
MIAMI 4 OKLAHOMA 0
1. Chumney/Ritchie (OU) def. Albuquerque/Riobueno (UM) 8-5
2. Bolivar/Dubins (UM) def. Brhane/Wofford (OU) 8-7
3. Lileikite/Wagner (UM) def. Lancaster/Engbroks (OU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) vs. Stephanie Wagner (UM), unfinished
2. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Hermon Brhane (OU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) vs. Melissa Bolivar (UM), unfinished
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Emma Devine (OU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) vs. Brittany Dubins (UM), unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 2*