FORT WORTH, Texas— The No. 18 Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to Texas Tech 4-2 in the second round of the Big 12 Championships, Friday, April 25, at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
In doubles, senior Whitney Ritchie and freshman Morgan Chumney notched the only win for the Sooners with an 8-4 victory over Kenna Kilgo and Sam Adams at the No. 1 spot.
Ritchie and fellow senior Hermon Brhane put the Sooners in the lead after defeating their opponents in straight sets. Ritchie notched her 18th win and recorded a career high for singles wins in one season with the victory.
Senior Mia Lancaster and sophomore Emma Devine were both defeated to give Tech a 3-2 lead with two courts left to play. Tech’s Nikki Sanders took down Chumney on court four to give the Red Raiders the win.
“In doubles, our execution was off and we gave up a lot of opportunities, “ OU head coach David Mullins said. “In singles, we had a big advantage at one and two but I knew it would be decided with the doubles point and down low. At the end of the day, Tech was just too good.”
The Sooners will find out where the rest of postseason will take them as the NCAA selection show is scheduled for Tuesday, April 29.
TEXAS TECH 4, OKLAHOMA 2
1. Ritchie/Chumney (OU) def. Adams/Kilgo (TTU) 8-4
2. Sanders/ Teltumbde (TTU) def. Brhane/Engbroks (OU) 8-1
3. Santos/Kiro (TTU) def. Wofford/Lancaster (OU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Kenna Kilgo (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Rashmi Teltumbde (TTU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lynn Kiro (TTU) def. Mia Lancaster (OU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Nikki Sanders (TTU) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Sam Adams (TTU) def. Emma Devine (OU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) v. Beatriz Santos (TTU), unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 5, 3, 4*