NORMAN, Okla.— After nearly five hours of play, the No. 18 Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped its second Big 12 match of the season, falling to No. 22 Texas 5-2 Friday in Austin.
Two tiebreakers in doubles helped the Sooners (15-4, 5-2) take the early lead over Texas (11-9, 6-1). Senior Hermon Brhane and sophomore Zita Engbroks were forced into the first tiebreak and came out on top with an 8-7 (7-5) win.
Seniors Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster battled relentlessly against Breaunna Addison and Elizabeth Begley on court one. The 1.5 hour long match resulted in the second tiebreaker of the evening. Ultimately, OU came out on top with an 8-7 (7-3) victory to clinch the doubles point.
However, the doubles point would be one of only two points earned by the Sooners.
In singles, junior Abbi Melrose battled back from a 5-2 second set deficit to force a third set on court six. After fighting to a second tiebreak, Melrose defeated Lana Groenvynck 1-6, 7-6, 7-6 to earn the only singles point for the Sooners.
Ritchie, Lancaster, and sophomore Emma Devine fell early in singles to give Texas the 3-1 lead. Brhane and Chumney fought to third sets on their respective courts to try and keep the Sooners alive. However, the comebacks came up short and both fell to their opponents.
The Sooners travel to Waco, Texas to take on the Baylor Bears Sunday, April 13, at 1 p.m. before returning home to take on Oklahoma State on Saturday, April 19 at noon.
TEXAS 5 OKLAHOMA 2
1. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Addison/Begley (UT) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Batra/ Koprcina (UT) def. Devine/Chumney 8-3
3. Engbroks/Brhane (OU) def. Horn/Gajic (UT) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Breaunna Addison (UT) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Elizabeth Begley (UT) def. Hermon Brhane (OU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Ratnika Batra (UT) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
4. Neda Koprcina (UT) def. Mia Lancaster (OU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Pippa Horn (UT) def. Emma Devine (OU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Lana Groenvynck (UT) 1-6, 7-6, 7-6
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 1, 3*, 2, 6