NORMAN, Okla.— An impressive showing in doubles followed by a dominating singles performance led the No. 18 Oklahoma women’s tennis team to a 6-1 win over No. 61 Kansas State Friday in Manhattan, Kan.
The Sooners (12-3, 2-1) swept doubles for the first time this season in conference play.
Clinching the doubles point for Oklahoma was senior tandem Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster. The duo fought to a tiebreak to take the match 8-7 (7-2).
Senior Hermon Brhane and Zita Engbroks made quick work of their opponents at the No. 3 spot with an 8-0 win.
Sophomore Emma Devine and Morgan Chumney were the second Sooner duo to force a tiebreak after coming back from a 6-3 deficit to tie the match at 7. The pair won the tiebreak to give the Sooners the sweep.
In singles play, Chumney dominated at the No. 3 position with a 6-0, 6-1 win to give OU the 2-0 lead.
“I felt really relaxed today, “ she said. “I feel like I got into a really good rhythm from the beginning. It was good to see the team connect to pull out as many matches as we did.”
Clinching the victory for the Sooners was Brhane at the No. 2 position. She ousted Palma Juhasz 6-3, 6-4 just seconds after Lancaster topped Liv Cirnu 6-4, 6-0.
Junior Abbi Melrose added a fifth point to the Sooners total with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Iva Bago at the No. 6 position.
Ritchie took down No. 56 Petra Niedermayerova at the No. 1 position to close out the match and give the Sooners the 6-1 victory.
“It was definitely one of my best collegiate wins,” Ritchie said. “It’s pretty exciting to get that victory over her.”
The team will travel to Lawrence, Kan. to take on the No. 47 Kansas Jayhawks Sunday, March 30, at 12 p.m.
OKLAHOMA 6 KANSAS STATE 1
1. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Niedermayerova/St. Hill (KSU) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Devine/Chumney (OU) Juhasz/Bago (KSU) 8-7 (7-1)
3. Engbroks/Brhane (OU) def. Cirnu/Panaite (KSU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) 3-6, 6-4 1-0 (10-8)
2. Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Palma Juhasz (KSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Morgan Chumney (OU) def. Maria Panaite (KSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Liv Cirnu (KSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Amina St. Hill (KSU) def. Emma Devine (OU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Iva Bago 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2*, 5, 6, 1