NORMAN, Okla.— The No. 18 Oklahoma women’s tennis team notched their 10th win of the season while snapping No. 19 Tulsa’s 51-match home win streak Wednesday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa, Okla.
Going into singles, the Sooners were down 1-0 as they dropped their first doubles point in 10 matches as Tulsa won at the No. 1 and 2 positions.
"Today was an interesting match as we probably played the worst doubles point we have played in the last two years,” OU women’s head coach David Mullins said. “Then we bounced back with one of our best singles performances."
The bottom half of the lineup went to work early in singles giving the Sooners a 3-1 lead. Coming off a loss at Oklahoma State, sophomore Emma Devine notched a win in straight sets defeating Marcelina Cichon 6-1, 7-5. Devine’s win snapped Cichon’s 16-match win streak.
Senior Mia Lancaster defeated Renata Kuricova 6-4, 6-4 and Abbi Melrose defeated Dobby Leenabanchong 6-3, 6-1 to add to the Sooners lead.
Tulsa’s Samantha Vickers and Yelena Nemchen defeated Hermon Brhane and Morgan Chumney respectively. These back-to-back wins tied the match at three, leaving the fate of Oklahoma in senior Whitney Ritchie’s hands.
Ritchie, whose ten-match win streak was snapped during Sunday’s loss to OSU, recorded her second clinch of the season with a 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 victory over Isaura Enrique.
"I was really proud of both Emma and Whitney today,” Mullins said. “They recovered from their disappointment on Sunday and responded with some incredible performances this evening."
The Sooners return home after six weeks away to open Big 12 conference play. They face Texas Tech on Friday, March 21 at 5 p.m. and TCU on Sunday, March 23 at noon. Whitney Wofford Day will also be celebrated on March 23.
OKLAHOMA 4, TULSA 3
1. #79 Samantha Vickers (TLS) d. Hermon Brhane (OU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2. #121 Whitney Ritchie (OU) d. Isaura Enrique (TLS) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
3. Yelena Nemchen (TLS) d. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) d. Renata Kuricova (TLS) 6-4, 6-4
5. Emma Devine (OU) d. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) 6-1, 7-5
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) d. Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6, 1, 3, 2
1. Maria Sant'Anna/Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) d. #76 Mia Lancaster/Whitney Ritchie (OU) 8-5
2. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon(TLS) d. Emma Devine/Morgan Chumeny (OU) 8-6
3. Samantha Vickers/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) vs. Zita Engbroks/Hermon Brhane (OU) 5-7 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2