Norman, Okla.-- After clinching their seventh straight doubles point, the No. 24 Oklahoma women’s tennis team (6-1) defeated No. 44 Arkansas (5-3) 5-2 in Fayetteville.
Sophomore Emma Devine and freshman Morgan Chumney, now 5-1 at the No. 2 spot, defeated Sarah McLean and Shannon Hudson, 8-3, to give the Sooners the early advantage in doubles play.
After a close match at the No. 1 position that resulted in an 8-6 loss for seniors Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster, the doubles point came down to court three. Senior Hermon Brhane and Zita Engbroks battled it out and clinched the doubles point with an 8-7 victory over Yang Pang and Sasha Shkorupeieva.
"Hermon and Zita played their best when we needed them most," OU head coach David Mullins said. "Zita made two outstanding plays to clinch the doubles and always seems to play her greatest tennis in those moments."
Devine earned the first singles point for the Sooners with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Brittany Huxley at the No. 5 position.
At the No. 3 position, Lancaster defeated Sarah McLean 6-2, 6-4 to increase the Sooners lead. To clinch the match for Oklahoma, Brhane defeated Shannon Hudson 6-4, 6-3.
Ritchie earned a fourth singles point for the Sooners with a 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 win over Yang Pang at the No. 1 position. This extended her win singles win streak to 7-0 with six of those wins coming at the No. 2 position.
"Overall it was a solid performance and another significant win for this team," Mullins said. "It has been a long time since the Sooners have won in Fayetteville, so I'm happy with this win."
The Sooners will take on No. 30 Purdue Saturday at noon.
Oklahoma 5, Arkansas 2
1. Kimberley-Ann Surin/Brittany Huxley (AR) def. Whitney Ritchie/Mia Lancaster (OKLA) 8-6
2. Emma Devine/Morgan Chumney (OKLA) def. Sarah McLean/Shannon Hudson (AR) 8-3
3. Hermon Brhane/Zita Engbroks (OKLA) def. Yang Pang/Sasha Shkorupeieva (AR) 8-7 (8-6)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) def. Yang Pang (AR) 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Hermon Brhane (OKLA) def. Shannon Hudson (AR) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mia Lancaster (OKLA) def. Sarah McLean (AR) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kimberley-Ann Surin (AR) def. Morgan Chumney (OKLA) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
5. Emma Devine (OKLA) def. Brittany Huxley (AR) 6-2, 6-0
6. Sasha Shkorupeieva (AR) def. Abbi Melrose (OKLA) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 2*, 4, 1