April 14, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – Whitney Wofford defeated Federica Denti, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 4 position to clinch the 4-3 victory for the University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team. Oklahoma handed TCU its first conference loss Sunday, April 14, at Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
“It was an exciting win for us,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “I think ultimately we just wanted it a little bit more.”
Oklahoma (13-7, 5-3) lost at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles position to give TCU the first point of the match. The Sooners fought back and took four matches in singles play to seal the victory.
“To win the singles match after losing the doubles, it just shows the growth of this team, especially bouncing back after a disappointing defeat yesterday.” Mullins stated. “The growth that they’re showing is a lot to be proud of and they have a lot to be proud of today.”
Entering the match, Oklahoma was 1-7 after losing the doubles point.
“We got off to a great start on pretty much every court in singles.” Mullins added.
In singles play, Whitney Ritchie started the comeback with an upset over No. 107 Olivia Smith at the No. 2 spot, 6-2, 6-3, to tie the match at one.
Emma Devine quickly gave Oklahoma a 2-1 lead after a, 6-3, 6-2, victory on court six.
Mia Lancaster improved to 10-5 this season at the No. 3 position after a 6-3, 6-4 victory against Simona Parajova. Lancaster’s victory gave the Sooners a 3-1 lead.
Hermon Brhane fought hard for every point but eventually fell to No. 43 Stefanie Tan, 6-2, 6-4, on court one.
After Wofford sealed the victory for Oklahoma on court four, Abbi Melrose fell to Monika Sirilova at the No. 5 spot, 7-5, 6-3, to close out the match.
Oklahoma travels to Stillwater, Okla., Saturday, April 20, at 1 p.m., for round two of Bedlam and to close out the regular season. The Sooners defeated the Cowgirls, 4-3, in Norman, earlier this season.
Oklahoma 4, TCU 3
1. No. 20 Hermon Brhane/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. No. 51 Millie Nichols/Olivia Smith (TCU), 8-3
2. Federica Denti/Kelsey Sundarum (TCU) def. Whitney Wofford/Zita Engbroks (OU), 8-4
3. Monika Sirilova/Gaby Barbosa (TCU) def. No. 82 Mia Lancaster/Emma Devine (OU), 8-5
1. No. 43 Stefanie Tan (TCU) def. No. 69 Hermon Brhane (OU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. No. 107 Olivia Smith (TCU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Simona Parajova (TCU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Federica Denti (TCU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Monika Sirilova (TCU) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 7-5, 6-3
6. Emma Devine (OU) def. Millie Nichols (TCU), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 2, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5