May 11, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell 4-1 to Arizona State in the NCAA Championships First Round at Athens, Ga., Saturday.
Oklahoma captured the doubles point for the early advantage, but fell behind in all six first sets of singles and never recovered.
The ninth-ranked doubles pair of Hermon Brhane and Whitney Ritchie defeated the 31st-ranked duo of Jacqueline Cako and Nicole Smith, 8-3, and Sooners Zita Engbroks and Mia Lancaster outlasted Arizona State’s Hannah James and Joanna Smith, 8-6.
However, the advantage disappeared quickly as four Sooners lost their first sets of singles 6-1.
Cako finished Brhane 6-1, 6-3 at Court 1 of the Dan McGill Tennis Complex.
Ritchie and Engbroks battled to second set tiebreakers, but both fell. Ebony Panoho beat Engbroks 6-1, 7-6 (3) at Court 6 and Desirae Krawczyk dropped Ritchie 6-1, 7-6 (1) on Court 2.
Arizona State clinched the match at No. 4 singles when Stephanie Vlad defeated Whitney Wofford 6-1, 6-1.
Brhane’s and Ritchie’s seasons continue as one of the 32 doubles pairs to compete in the 2013 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships.
The NCAA Championships for singles and doubles team begin May 22-27 at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex in Urbana, Ill.
Arizona State 4, Oklahoma 1
1. #9 Hermon Brhane/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. #31 Jacqueline Cako/Nicole Smith (ASU), 8-3
2. Desirae Krawczyk/Leighann Sahagun (ASU) vs. Emma Devine/Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-5, unfinished
3. Zita Engbroks/Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Hannah James/Joanna Smith (ASU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3
1. #21 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. #66 Hermon Brhane (OU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU), 6-1, 7-6(1)
3. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) vs. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
4. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Hannah James (ASU) vs. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-4, 3-5, unfinished
6. Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Zita Engbroks (OU), 6-1, 7-6(3)
Order of finish: 1,6,2,4*